Square Foot Gardening Thread

Just got the supplies I need to get my garden going. Waiting on wood for the bottom since it is on my patio. The neighbors have been coming over to see how much progress I have made. Hoping to get it up and running by Monday or Tuesday.

Someone posted this to my FB and I thought about this thread

1403_603256556363276_1308547433_n.jpg
THis makes me feel like the acres are manageable. lol I know- very illogicle.

Well, my garden has been completed for about 2 weeks now, I have 50 green onions starting to shoot up, and my tomatoes are barely starting to move, but I planted them partially laying down so they will be more solid. Got a few herbs planted in little plastic containers, hanging from the edges, and 1 pot hanging from the middle with more herbs in it. Even planted a few marigolds, and a flower that said is was a "repeat buyer" but my neighbor says it reseeds itself, so my hanging herb pot might be plant be moved to the big garden, and that flower moved up there. Going to build some strawberry boxes to go along the edge for my next garden expansion of 75 strawberry plants. Next years garden is already be drawn up and waiting to be started. My garden as a whole is not exactly what I wanted to do, but I got the SFG started too late to get it properly planted like I had imagined. Turning it into a green house this fall too, see if I can grow some lettuce and keep the carrots going through the winter. Next year it will be filled with peas, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, more basil and peppers. The pumpkin and watermelons will be grown in containers along with some red daisies and left to spread along the ground, just incase we move later than I plan.

Excited to hear how everyone's gardens are going this year.

I have decided that the planting density according to the charts is just too close. Last year I had so much growth that it was like a jungle to try to pick anything. Cleaning out the garden in fall I found that I missed picking a lot of beans and peas because I could not find them. I am cutting back on the number of plants per square foot this year.

I just finished reading through all the posts....whoa. Lovely to see so many gardens and hear everyone else experiences. We have SFG a few years now but not with much success. I blame the babies but this year I am not pregnant and I do not have a baby hanging off my arms do hopefully I will do better. So far we have broccolinni, cauliflowers, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, peas, pole and bush beans, flying saucer squash, cucumbers, 1 lonely butternut squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, pie pumpkin, potatoes, sunflower and strawberries. Everything looks so much more promising this year.

Our main problems are acidic soil (we have white pine that love to drop needles on the garden) and early winters. Because we are in canada our last day of expected frost is May 31 and our first day of expected is sept 15. I want to experiment with making a cold frame to see if we can do a second planting of the broccoli, cauliflower and peas in the fall. Any one have experience making one on the cheap?

I just finished reading through all the posts....whoa. Lovely to see so many gardens and hear everyone else experiences. We have SFG a few years now but not with much success. I blame the babies but this year I am not pregnant and I do not have a baby hanging off my arms do hopefully I will do better. So far we have broccolinni, cauliflowers, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, peas, pole and bush beans, flying saucer squash, cucumbers, 1 lonely butternut squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, pie pumpkin, potatoes, sunflower and strawberries. Everything looks so much more promising this year.

Our main problems are acidic soil (we have white pine that love to drop needles on the garden) and early winters. Because we are in canada our last day of expected frost is May 31 and our first day of expected is sept 15. I want to experiment with making a cold frame to see if we can do a second planting of the broccoli, cauliflower and peas in the fall. Any one have experience making one on the cheap?

Got a book on some backyard buildings. PVC pipe bent into a hoop cover that crosses in the middle, covered with a thick clear plastic is a very popular one. Old windows put on hinges over a slightly bigger frame at an angle over the raised beds with bricks around the inside between the cold frame and your raised beds. Saw a really cool one that attaches to the side of your house, if you want to start them early. It uses one of your windows, and looks like a see through cabinet. It comes apart with a plywood platform, up on legs to your window height, 2 staggered shelves and hinged doors so you can get to the plants easy, and an old window on top, wrapped in plastic. It is called an indoor, outdoor greenhouse. If you type "how to build an indoor outdoor greenhouse" it should pop up.

I am, starting seeds later this week. Building more beds, growing more bell peppers and tomatos this year. Adding green beans to my garden as well now that I have an actual yard and a chain link fence I can put my garden next to.

Back
Top Bottom