Square Foot Gardening Thread

Quote:
idunno.gif
I think you can slice it thin and steam it, or slice it thin and eat it raw. It's in the cabbage family. It was $1.15 for a 4 pack, so I wanted to try it! I am so very lucky to have come across this Mennonite greenhouse on my way home from work. You can buy single plants for 50 cents or a 4 pack. They have all kinds of neat stuff. I am going to stop on my way home again this week.
hide.gif

I spent all day out in the chicken coop doing a "serious" cleaning. I still have some more to do, but I'll do it tomorrow after work.

A few days delayed but here are some up dated pictures of my garden. That white stuff is all those things you don't want people to get out of your trash. We run them through the cross-cut shredder. I use it in nest boxes as well.

Cukes at one end, Zukes at the other, Snow peas and radishes in between.

gard2.jpg

Assorted Peppers on one end, Bush BlueLake greenbeans on the other.

gard1.jpg

'maters on one end squash and gourds on the other. Gourds aren't doing real well. Only 4 seeds have sprouted. Plastic fence will be coming down this weekend when the dog pen is expanded. Chickens will be housed in tractors out of the garden!!

gard4.jpg

Squash blossoms

gard3.jpg

Yesterday I took a load of poo soaked bedding that I had soaking in a plastic tote and side dressed everything (boy did that stuff stink!!!
sickbyc.gif
)

Soaker hose doesn't seem to work with the slow drain out of the dogs pool. Don't know if I'm just being impatient or it's just not enough pressure to move it on down the line. Run well when I disconnect it from the soaker

Now to talk the DH into shoveling out the rest of the poo soaked bedding into an empty bed!!!
sickbyc.gif

Love the shredded paper. It makes an awesome mulch! I soak it in water and rally gob it on thick when I use it. The stuff really keeps the soil from drying out nicely. When I worked in an office I used to take home the bags of paper from the shredder and everyone thought I was nuts. LOL

So this is interesting as I was a SFG until this year. I lived in Portland proper and had limited space. I grew about 60% of our food and 100% of our baby food. This year we're on acreage and have a garden that is 20'x130'. I hope it's ok if I post pictures etc here. I couldn't find another gardening thread and don't really want to start one.

These are the beds I used to have
n766099471_1997427_6490487.jpg

n766099471_1997441_7091934.jpg

This is part of what I now have
228754_10150188784989472_766099471_6896356_4489839_n.jpg

Quote:
I had a neighbor who had a raised garden like what you are talking about. . . . I think his was narrower and longer, but basically same concept.
He was an elderly man with health issues and did it for the same reason. He grew things like lettuce and herbs in it.

He used the CBS blocks to support the wood box frame. . .. . I am thinking it was 2 feet by 8 feet. It seemed like it was about 1 foot deep.

Last edited:
Quote:
You went from something similar to SFG to traditional rows? Interesting! Are you liking it better?

Well it's more of a factor that I moved from the city where it's essential to a 2600sqft plot. I think I might like to go back to raised beds as it will be more maintainance. It was a big coop or raised beds.....
gig.gif
like that's even a choice!
lol.png

Maybe raised beds on the plot next year. We'll just have to see how it goes. Waters not that big an issue as well we live in Oregon and have a well. Should be an interesting experiment though.

Last edited:
Well, I did it. I bought 96 six inch instead of eight inch cement blocks. Now I have to wait for my DH to put it together. I told him if I just have two for now, so I can get some stuff in, the others can wait awhile. I will post pics when it's done. I think I'm going to paint/stain the outside. I'm not sure if I want to do a terracotta color, or go with some shade of green, or brown. Any opinions?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom