Square Foot Gardening Thread

FINALLY getting produce out of the garden that's not chard or spinach or peas!!!!!! The sun has finally come to Oregon!!!!
ya.gif
Had my first mater the other day and I'm excited for the rest of the growing season!

Quote:
We've had your share here in OK, it's been over 100 for most of June and all of July and very little rain some places not any.

Quote:
We've had your share here in OK, it's been over 100 for most of June and all of July and very little rain some places not any.

For us it's been the opposite. I had tomatoes bursting in June and July because they had WAY too much water and no sun
hmm.png
It's been a really weird year for weather!

Photo update!
Getting good use out of my sink!
DSCF2358.jpg

DSCF2355.jpg

One of our first harvests.
DSCF2349.jpg

A days worth of canning those tasty veggies.
DSCF2378.jpg

Quote:
You're living my dream. I luuurve your outdoor sink!

I only have one garden plot this year, a raised bed for potatoes that sprouted in my kitchen drawer. I have two chairs out there, I luuurve to sit out there before dark to sit with the potatoes, with chickens in my lap and DH yapping in my ear in the other chair. I always wanted a garden like yours! I planned and drew and bought seeds and made the great earth with help from my chickens'poop and compost. But this year I had to go back to work full time and overtime, but I am pretty happy with my one box of potato plants, and your BYC thread on gardening! I can enjoy gardening now without actually doing it!
hugs.gif

Gardening has gotten lumped into "Naps", "Bubblebaths" and "Eating when you're hungry" for me: Anyone who CAN do it, really SHOULD. It's All Good.

KRCOTE: love the set-up.
cool.png

Is that table portable or do you leave it there all the time?
The gardens look incredible, it all makes me jealous of everyone living somewhere where things grow.

Oh well, I can try again next year. DH and I are working hard this summer to get garden stuff set-up so next year will be better. Stuff like irrigation, fencing, amended soils, raised beds, and gates in the fence so I can get to the water spigot to turn the water on!
wink.png
These are important to happy gardening. Used to be, I had to go out the back door 1/4 way around the house and up the slope turn on the water, then back down the hill, through the yard (of course I ahve to throw the ball for the dog a couple of times) through the house and back 1/4 of the way around it to get to the garden area. Now I have a gate to cut across the dog yard to get to the water spiget. So much easier.

Lost half of my pea plants in the little growhouse that my DH made. They are cut off at the ground and completely gone. Well, one is left of the four I lost last night, just lying there all wilted. What do you think, can mice get through the 1/2" machine fabric?

I have one green tomato that is about golfball sized but it is growing. Alot of flowers on the tomato plants but it seems like there is not much pollination occurring. We had a bumper crop of wildflowers, could that be spreading the bees too thin to get good pollination?

My potatoes are in bags with 1/2" machine fabric around them to keep out the gophers and ground squirrels. They seem to be doing pretty good, not really very tall, about 2', but alot of healthy green leaves and one plant is starting to bloom. I hope that I get some potatoes from them. I got them planted really late, like at the beginning of July. Can you believe that the grocery store wants $5 for one pound of red potatoes?

The onions are doing great now. I will have to start thinning them out as green onions for salads or they won't have enough room to grow to a decent size.

6chickens in St. Charles :

Quote:

I only have one garden plot this year, a raised bed for potatoes that sprouted in my kitchen drawer. I have two chairs out there, I luuurve to sit out there before dark to sit with the potatoes, with chickens in my lap and DH yapping in my ear in the other chair. I always wanted a garden like yours! I planned and drew and bought seeds and made the great earth with help from my chickens'poop and compost. But this year I had to go back to work full time and overtime, but I am pretty happy with my one box of potato plants, and your BYC thread on gardening! I can enjoy gardening now without actually doing it!
hugs.gif

Gardening has gotten lumped into "Naps", "Bubblebaths" and "Eating when you're hungry" for me: Anyone who CAN do it, really SHOULD. It's All Good.

Honestly, I tell my DH all the time that I am actually living MY dream! I too work full time plus overtime. Gardening, cooking and my chickens are my only hobbies really! I'll tell you what frees up a lot of time... get rid of your cable! You would not even believe how much extra time you find when there's nothing on TV
lol.png
In addition to that, we also got rid of our facebook accounts a few years ago now. You find HOURS in a day to get stuff (like gardening!) done without so many distractions. Maybe next year, we will all be envious of your gardens!​

Quote:
My sink-table is very portable, it can be placed anywhere the hose can reach
cool.png
Originally I had it up against the fence like so:
DSCF2093.jpg

Glad you got your water figured out, that would be a VERY long trip! Another option would be to get something for the end of the hose that turns the flow off and on. You do have to leave the water on at the house, so make sure there are no leaks! That's what we do because the spigot is a bit of a walk to get to. I have had issues with my peas just like what you describe. I thought it might be something small like mice or chipmunks? I never found a solution besides replanting. This is my first year planting onions, have you done it before? The green parts are at the point of laying down now, how long do I wait until I pull them up?

Quote:

hugs.gif

Honestly, I tell my DH all the time that I am actually living MY dream! I too work full time plus overtime. Gardening, cooking and my chickens are my only hobbies really! I'll tell you what frees up a lot of time... get rid of your cable! You would not even believe how much extra time you find when there's nothing on TV
lol.png
In addition to that, we also got rid of our facebook accounts a few years ago now. You find HOURS in a day to get stuff (like gardening!) done without so many distractions. Maybe next year, we will all be envious of your gardens!

Ooh I hate to admit my fatigue, but there it is. Probably, I should get a good check up. I just feel toooo tired to keep moving sometimes. My job is a little too physically demanding, and I'm 46 not-athletic-years-old. I'm with you on TV and Facebook, I am waaaay tooo cheap to buy cable, but the internet is seriously distracting from life. Hence the days long pauses between my posts
gig.gif
! Still, I really appreciate your thread here, I am thoroughly enjoying the progress of your garden happiness, I just wish it were mine!

Back
Top Bottom