Square Foot Gardening Thread

Here are pic's of three of my tomato plants in the little 4x8 growhouse DH made for me. I counted 48 little tomatos growing on the six plants that I have in there.

Here is a close-up of the Roma tomato plant - I had all three labeled as Roma's, but this is the only one that produced the Roma shape.

And this is what we got on Saturday -

I am happy to say that as of Tuesday, the plants in my growhouse are still green and growing. Just a touch of frost on the top of the plants.

Hey squarefoot gardeners - I need some advice

I have mushrooms growing in the soil in my raised bed squarefoot garden. They have just popped up this spring, in the last couple of weeks.
I have been using oak lathe for my grids since last spring. The mushrooms seem to be growing from the soil, but along the edges of the lathe.
Do you think this is anything to worry about? willl the mushrooms damage the crops? I had an onion that was surrounded by the mushrooms that I picked. The outer leaves were mushy, but the inside of the onion seemed good still.
And do you think I should remove the lathe?

I don't know much about your mushroom problem but if you think your grids are causing/enabling the issue, ditch the grids! I think they look very nice but don't seem to be necessary. I started this thread a year ago, dead set on following the SFG book. When grids weren't going to work out for me and I was stumped on what to do, some brilliant BYCer suggested I wouldn't need them to be successful. They were correct. Give it a whirl?
Hey squarefoot gardeners - I need some advice

I have mushrooms growing in the soil in my raised bed squarefoot garden. They have just popped up this spring, in the last couple of weeks.
I have been using oak lathe for my grids since last spring. The mushrooms seem to be growing from the soil, but along the edges of the lathe.
Do you think this is anything to worry about? willl the mushrooms damage the crops? I had an onion that was surrounded by the mushrooms that I picked. The outer leaves were mushy, but the inside of the onion seemed good still.
And do you think I should remove the lathe?

What are all you SFGs up to this spring season? We had a our first baby 8 weeks ago so I have very little time right now to be out playing in the dirt. I can get a few minutes in the garden between bounces! The furry babysitters are not very good at their job.
We were able to add some one-year asparagus crowns to the 4x4 box of them we started from seed last year and filled an entire second one. Got a 4x4 box of onions started and a 4x8 of red/green lettuces, spinach, pac choi and radishes. We also planted the chickens' box of sunflowers and head lettuce like last year. I sure am glad we put all that work into the boxes last year, planting goes very quickly now! I may not have as much time as I used to but I still love playing outside in the garden
love.gif

Last edited:
Our garden is going great guns!! These pictures are from a few weeks ago
The beds are planted and producing

Brocoli picked this morning along with asparagus and radishes. We have been harvesting Romaine and Red sails lettuce along with spinach and onions for spring salads.

Oh my NanaKat! I am so jealous. We got temps in the low 20's the past two nights so planting much beside greens and potatoes is still out of the question. I learned that lesson the hard way last year. Everything is looking great! What are the tall long leaved plants that look like lilies?

Last edited:
Oh my NanaKat! I am so jealous. We got temps in the low 20's the past two nights so planting much beside greens and potatoes is still out of the question. I learned that lesson the hard way last year. Everything is looking great! What are the tall long leaved plants that look like lilies?

The first box is all day lilies. I had spring blooming bulbs in the end of that second bed. Iris is also in the third bed.I like to plant flowers at the ends of the beds...perenials and annuals...both for the color and to attract bees to the garden.

Any one have experience with growing squashes in containers? I am thinking of trying 5 gallon buckets with pallets as trellises. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom