Square Foot Gardening Thread

Wow! That is some garden. I don't know where you live but you must get a lot of rain and it must be very warm since your plants are so big. I have to use drip irrigation and it works but my garden isn't as far along. My squash and cantaloupe and pumpkin are just getting their second leaves, but I do have tomatoes, although still small and cabbage and arugula to eat. The beans and cucumbers are getting big. I'll post pictures as soon as this wind dies down enough to stand out there without getting dirt in my eyes.

A little peek in my garden
wink.png

Now you guys have me missing Wisconsin. Its been 5 years, I thought I had outgrown that. Of course our extreamely dry spring is not helping at all, this is usually our green season. By mid-summer we are all dried up and brown.

All that green hurts my eyes!
cool.png

planted the last of the tomatoes and peppers and cleared out a bed of cabbage and replanted with cucumbers and radish.
Should be getting more squash and brocolli and one more picking of English ss peas.
Beginning to get warmer here. Need rain tht may be coming this weekend.
Peaches on one tree are turning so those should be ready with in the next two weeks.
Onions are still standing tall so may be a later harvest this June.

My first pepper harvest of the year, I'm so excited about how the peppers are doing this year, my first ever success w/ bells.

I've been trying to find an app for gardening the square foot method for a while now and I think I might have found something pretty useful. Smartgardener.com just came out with a new "add on" to its online application that lets you map out your garden with suggested square foot spacings and even has cool little structures for trellises, cages and other types of support.

It's also a plus that the website generates personalized reminders of my garden tasks and has a huge database of all the growing info I would ever want about the plants I'm growing right down to the variety level. I'm going to give this a try this summer and then reply back with my experience with it and I'd like to hear some feedback from others about this app and other apps that are useful for growing a lot of food quickly in small spaces.

Can't wait to trellis my Pumpkins and Melons and hang them in their slings! And I'm also doing rainbow mix carrots, finocchio, Siberian Tomatoes (they easily produce fruit in my cooler summer here in SF, unlike many other types), Strawberries, and surrounding my square foot plot with perennial herbs (lavender, rosemary, thyme, mint, winter savory, french tarragon, fennel, Lemon Balm, Mexican Tarragon and more) to keep the pests down, and the space fresh!

It can be a slow and cautious start up here in New England due to the ever present danger of frost. Here is a photo of what is growing now.

I have decided to experiment with container squash and mellon this year, and will be training them up onto the pallets. I have since trimmed the lilacs that caused the small amount of shade, so this spot is in full sun.

Back
Top Bottom