Square Foot Gardening Thread

Danger of frost!!!!!!
ep.gif
It is the last day or two of MAY!!!!!!
th.gif

It isn't advised to plant seedlings much ahead of now in NH! Many folks have a tradition of getting their garden in over the Memorial Day weekend
big_smile.png

I am having an issue growing peas of all things this year. I was hoping for a large crop in order to make baby food, but things aren't looking so good. Here is a photo of what's going on. Most plants are stunted, and have folded leaves. About one in 10 plants are normal as shown in the upper right of the photos. What do you all think?

The back yard is surrounded by white pines. We have had very good luck with adding one ash pail per 4 x 8 bed to lower acidity for all of the other veggie. Do you think this is an issue for peas? If so, why would some be healthy and some stunted you think?

Are these plants tomitillo's and ground cherry?????

These are growing where I put tomatillo seeds

and these are growing where I planted ground cherries, but both could just be weeds I don't know????

The back yard is surrounded by white pines. We have had very good luck with adding one ash pail per 4 x 8 bed to lower acidity for all of the other veggie. Do you think this is an issue for peas? If so, why would some be healthy and some stunted you think?
Too much ash makes the soil too alkaline. If the ash is more concentrated in some areas over othrs, could affect the way the peas grow. When I add ash to my raised bed, it is one coffee can full for a 4 x 16 foot bed. I mix it with a wheelbarrow of compost and the sprinkle that over the surface of the bed and turn it under. I then lay on 2 inches of compost and turn that with a fork.

Are these plants tomitillo's and ground cherry?????

These are growing where I put tomatillo seeds

and these are growing where I planted ground cherries, but both could just be weeds I don't know????
Not familiar with ground cherries since I haven't grown them. But the first two pictures are tomatillos. I pick off the first fruits so the stem gets stronger and then tie to a fence for support. I have a recipe for salsa verde if you want it.

Just got back from the cuke jungle. It and the zuch plant w/ leaves big enough to make me a skirt were hiding the cukes, I got a wal-mart sac full and that was leaving the medium and smaller on the vine!!!!! It isn't even what I was thinking would be my main cuke crop, it was from a 20 cent seed pkt from a super store!!!! I planted several specialty type cukes this year and thought oh I better put out a few normal cuke seeds just in case.

Back
Top Bottom