Squatting when I pet them. What does that mean?

I'm kind of in the same "coup" as you. My three hear the door squeak open and they smash their bodies against the door to be let out to free range. My RIR Gretta was going in and out of the coup. They usually don't bother going in the coup when it is 95 degrees outside, but today yes. I am outside with the girls when they free range (hawks and all), so I'm thinking about keeping them in so she uses the nesting box instead of the garden.

Well..at least it's a garden to search..we have rainforest and their favorite spots are under cedar & doug fir, mixed with nettles and fern..& blackberry..they make it hard' to follow. We have raptors, owls etc , so i'm glad our dogs tend to hang out with the girls if they are in the open. We kept them in for two days, no eggs yet.. they won' a couple hrs out.

Does anyone know if it is the same for turkey's? Our BBW hen is about 6 months old and just started doing this, so maybe eggs aren't far behind?! Our chicken hen we got at the same time just started laying eggs recently but isn't as interested in us so hasn't shown this behavior

got my first eggs today!!!!!
1f603.png
1f603.png
1f603.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

I just stumbled upon this thread. My older hens have been squatting like this for a long time- Never knew what it meant. My younger BR just did this the other day- she's 18 weeks old. My boys say the chickens are 'putting up their protection signs'. Now that I know what it means I would agree- isn't that how most women feel?!? Ha ha ha

This is my black sex link 21 weeks she is doing the squatting thing every time I walk by she is very red in the combs and wattles hope this means eggs r coming soon
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom