Squatting when I pet them. What does that mean?

Just found this thread, funny stuff!!!

Out of my two hens, only my dominant hen squats regularly for me. My other hen (the one who goes broody often) rarely does.
Big Hen also squats for our dog, who nuzzles her & licks her when she does. That's a funny sight.

Like others, I give her a good back scratch to reinforce that I am the rooster.
That way when I approach her, she squats and I can pick her up when I need to.
They both come when I call them, so its usually not an issue, but having them squat is an advantage.

We'll see how my new pullets do. Right now they want nothing to do with me unless I have treats and even then they are cautious..

Past couple days squatting I pet her and scratch her and she fluffs up and leaves then comes back lol us she has a coop and 15x15 foot enclosure my other bsl does it too but my Slw and Brahma do not don't c eggs yet but they r running around acting weird today

Make sure to have fake eggs in the nest boxes so they see where to lay.

And don't be surprised when they all want to lay in the same box or two.

Yep, My favorite gal likes the hard scratchy 'pet'. Sometimes if I dont do it hard enough she will turn right around and peck me then squat again. Now days all I have to do is the finger wiggle and say "wanna pet" and she comes right over and squats.

I put the ceramic eggs in today so we will c what the next days bring ;) hopefully I will get eggs soon.I have started feeding then purina layena omega it says I don't need any additional oyster shells is that true? Does anyone know?

Omg you guys ijust woke up and found an egg this is unbelievable I knew it was gonna be soon ;)

Hers is the one on left !!!
1f600.png

This is the one that layed this morning my black sex link that I've been scratching the past Couple days I put the fake egg in yesterday and woke up to a beautiful big brown egg mom can't believe it.

Seriously, I LOVE this site!

So I sent my friend a message earlier, that one of my 11 hens just simply dropped to the ground and hunched her wings and I had NO idea what on earth was going on. Seriously...my girls LOVE me for treats, but if I wanna cuddle, I have to work for it. Nope, not tonight - TWICE!

They are almost 18 weeks old (give or take a few days). This thread is SO much fun, and I am hoping for eggs SOON!!!

woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom