Squawking when laying?

That is normal.
roll.png
I have an EE that I call the Busy Body of the coop. Anytime any hen goes up the ramp to the nesting boxes she starts squacking crazy like to let everyone know.
th.gif
Most of my girls makes some kind of noise they range from a loud squack down to a little light chirping. But that one EE will go off all day sometimes also.

I would say try to bribe your neighbors with fresh eggs to put up with the noise.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have one hen that screams her head off, I'm talking blue bloody murder. I run out to the coop every time to find out what's killing my chickens. Nope, it's just Brigid complaining about someone else being in her favorite nest.
th.gif

Well, given what some of you have said about the amount of squawking that CAN potentially occur, either with the hen who's laying, or her flock as they notice and comment on her behavior, I guess I'm lucky that I don't have screaming bloody murder going on for half the day. I've tried to go out when I hear the squawking and pet or softly talk to the hen who's in the nest box, or give additional treats (weeds) or attention to the other hens who might be joining in, to try to calm things down. I'll continue to see if there's anything I can do to discourage the loud trumpeting and encourage regular soft gentle hen cluck-clucks.

I have a cherry egger that never makes a sound when laying, on the other hand, my buff orpington can be heard all over creation. Since we have a town ordinance against " fowl" keeping, I'm afraid we will be reported, fined and have to get rid of these beautiful birds. Is there anything we can do to keep her quieter ?

Back
Top Bottom