Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2018
Glendale, AZ
75B7D24B-9E7D-4EC1-813C-02CEEE69A854.jpeg
7D18879C-0C52-4129-90B8-2FE85738DDB2.jpeg
830FCE62-B3CB-49E6-8CF6-C79E074D6DCE.jpeg

This is Bessie, BO.
Born in February, 2018. Laid 1st egg in August, 2018. Laid consistently for 2 weeks. Then, she just stopped. Period, the end. Nov 2018, she started laying these squishy-shelled eggs randomly, while sitting on her perch - Not in the hen box. And, she has still never laid a normal hard-shelled egg since her first 2 weeks back in August. She has not molted yet.
Now & then, she will sit in the hen box & I get excited, but nothing. This is the 3rd squishy-shell egg I’ve picked up in the coop this week. She is perfectly healthy otherwise. She is top of the pecking order, looks beautiful, sweet as can be, eats very well, gets lots of protein & calcium. I feed them Purina Layena pellets + oyster shells. Just started giving Bessie Tums to see if that helps, but nope. I hand-feed hard-boiled egg crumbles as snacks in the evening. Any ideas? I’m at a loss.

Sorry :( but....Her history hints that you might need to rename her 'Lemon'.
Have had a few of those.

Are your other birds laying 'good' eggs?

Sorry :( but....Her history hints that you might need to rename her 'Lemon'.
Have had a few of those.

Are your other birds laying 'good' eggs?

That’s what I’ve been worried about: Lemon. Yes, they are all laying fantastic- almost daily. Perfect hard, clean and consistent eggs from all of my other hens.

Was she related to the buff you lost last summer?

Not related at all, however, she stopped laying right around the time that I lost Hei Hei to heat stroke (after trying to nurse her back to health for 4 weeks). The timing could be coincidental, or it could’ve been a stress trigger. Hei Hei was the oldest (by a month) and also the leader of the whole brood. She was a difficult loss for myself & the brood. Bessie has just not ever gotten back to laying other than these soft-shells from the perch. It’s just so odd bc she’s never been sick or behaved oddly or changed her disposition.

Was wondering if they came from the same hatchery.
Some birds parts just don't work right...could be a incubation issue or hereditary or jsut a freak anomaly.
Might never know why, nor can they be 'fixed'.

Back
Top Bottom