St. John's Wort

Quote:
I use the 30. It doesn't really matter though, all it takes is a single drop. But I think the 30 is more likely to find its mark cause it has a higher concentration.

thanks for the information. I've been treating my sick bird since tuesday night with little to no improvement. she can sometimes stand and sometimes not - ends up falling. she is eating and i am giving her water by syringe. is this a progressive disease - e.g. the condition will continue to worsen? or is there a there a chance that the treatment will keep her in the status quo of partial paralysis? i'm asking because i don't want her to suffer if these symptoms will continue or get worse. thanks for your help.

kate

With my experience, when you start treating the symptoms will not get any worse unless you overdose. They may not get any better though too. Sometimes it can take a looooong time for them to recover, and sometimes the symptoms will return as soon as you stop treating. It depends on the bird and the strain of Marek's. If she's improving at all, even slightly, keep trying. If she's not getting any better, give her one more week and then decide whether or not you want to put her down.

Quote:
Birds infected with marek's sometimes recover on their own except that while this appears to be a recovery in actuallity the bird remains a carrier of the disease for life. The only sensible thing to do with a Marek's is to cull it as soon as possible.

Marek's Disease is found in the soil, so if one bird has it it's safe to assume that all your birds have it. You can place new birds on land that has never had chickens before and they will still get it. The good news is that most birds are naturally resistant, and symptoms only occur in genetically susceptible birds or birds with weakened immune systems. Keeping a surviver will not hurt your flock. Survivors are actually more likely to breed more resistant offspring. Yes, they shed the virus, but it's in the soil, so your flock has already been exposed.

great thanks very much for your input - i'll give the treatment another week and see what happens.

kate

I wanted to add that today I discussed this coarse of treatment with my vet, after hearing that I was doing it the first time he did more research on it. He said although there is no cure that this treatment is being used and has been successful, but that it is unknown in the medical community whether it just helps support them as they go through the mareks it or if it can cure, he leans towards the first but no one knows for sure. I am so thankful of this post since for me it seems to be working, and as the vet said certainly cant hurt. Thanks Moody
smile.png

as to the bird with mareks that we are treating with moody chicken's aryuvedic remedy, it has been nearly two weeks. she has improved slightly, signs showing by her ability to stand a little and she has a big appetite (tangerines and cottage cheese). her eyes are bright and her feathers are shiny. she is opening her mouth and appearing to take big breaths, not sure what this means. still wondering if we should keep up with the treatment. wlling to help her back to health but we can't tell is she's suffering.

Back
Top Bottom