Staggering Roost Bars

syds94

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2022
new chicken owner here……how do you prevent chickens pooping on other chickens who are below them on a staggering roosting bar layout? I feel like the bars would have to be at least 2 feet apart to prevent that from happening, and that would take up so much space.

Also, some of my larger hens don’t let anyone else on their roosting bars, including the rooster, and the bar is 4 ft long.

Right now I have two bars, one 4’ long and one 3’ long. I am going to add more to give everyone some space but I’m still trying to figure out the layout. My 2 leghorns and 2 East eggers insist on roosting on top of the door though.

The top of the door is higher than the roosts

Attachments

• 59E3050C-5741-49D9-BA2B-ECEE62405918.jpeg
    59E3050C-5741-49D9-BA2B-ECEE62405918.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 51
Right now I have two bars, one 4’ long and one 3’ long. I am going to add more to give everyone some space but I’m still trying to figure out the layout. My 2 leghorns and 2 East eggers insist on roosting on top of the door though.

Welcome to BYC.

What are the dimensions of your coop and how many chickens do you have?

The door under the pop door is the only way for me to get into my run unfortunately, so I need to keep that space open. My husband built these roosting shelves over the weekend and so far everyone seems to be liking it!

I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but I'd guess the coop is about 5' by 5' excluding the nesting boxes. Those are out of frame here in the picture. I have 8 chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_4636.PNG
    IMG_4636.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

Back
Top Bottom