Stall Dry, my new best friend...

I had gone looking for DE, and went to alot of stores, thanks to a new friend on here on this post...we found out we are at times 10mins away from each other!!! So she can get DE for me and will bring it this way.

BUT...I did buy Stall Dry, and tonight when I went to add it to the run, it read:
that it also contains DE in it...of course it was once again dark outside...no lights out that way...so tomm. I will check what all it says, but did read DE in it...I got it at TSC

Ran into a nice surprise just a few minutes ago... was at TSC getting some Aspen bedding for the nest boxes and remembered to see if they had any Stall dry. Low and behold there was one bag sitting all by it's lonesome on the end of a shelf with a yellow tag marked down from $9.99 to $5.00. I looked it over and saw the bottom corner had been taped up so it appears marked down for spillage. However it seemed pretty darn full to me. So on a lark, and with no other bags around to compare it to, I went ahead and loaded it up and brought it home with me.

I threw it on the scales when I got home and it reads 26.26 pounds.... look on the bag and the bag says it supposed to be 26.4 pounds!

Half price for a 0.14 pound loss.

Sometimes ya get lucky.
big_smile.png

I love SD. Talked 2 rep, seems Stall DRY is OMRI certified & contains something called Montmorilinite (spelling?) it is Nature's binder of mycotoxins. She said AFIA has sent out a "high mycotoxin alert", mycotoxins are mold found in corn & all silages we feed are animals. This mold I guess gets into eggs, milk & meat we eat. Not good! High in hay & straw. She said all birds love to DUST their feathers for mites. Its sister product called Red Lake Diatomecaous Earth is sold to make animal feed. So this stuff must be good stuff to feed too.
big_smile.png

I have to drive nearly 2 hours to get to the nearest feed store for food and supplies for my chickens. The nearest store only sells "Dry Stall" not Stall-Dry. The bag says it is a 'lightweight volcanic aggregate'. It is kinda like little pellets, smaller than a pea, about 1/8" in size. I have been using it on the coop floor under the pine shavings. It does seem to absorb moisture and keep down odor, but I don't want to continue using it if it isn't safe. Has anyone used this, or have any thoughts on if it is ok to continue? Thanks in advance!

I purchased D.E. by Permaguard in OK today (Cosby Ranch). A #50 was $34. I found the distributor on Permaguard's website - you can find one near you too! I also got a #4 bag of Stall dry for FREE and am very excited to try it in our chicken ark! Love the free sample! We use pelletized corn cob bedding and it gets pretty yucky really quick. It was the hope that a 4" layer would be enough of a deep bed to keep the waste dry and the flies down. Unfortunately, we have a million flies and the waste doesn't sink to the bottom to dry out.

We save our grass clippings (bermuda) from our organic lawn and are going to combine that with the cob pellets and the stall dry tomorrow. The ark doesn't smell - we just need to control these flies.

We dusted the run and surrounding areas with the DE. I'll post with any updates either positive or negative:):

I live in Wi and buy food grade de at fleet farm . They also carry it at the local co-op. A 40 lb bag is only 11 dollars. They should have a fleet farm or farm and fleet in minnesota. If not try a garden center 26 bucks for 2 lbs is nuts.

Stall dry has dramatically cut down on the flies in our chicken ark - and it still doesn't smell. Unfortunately the D.E. (food grade) and stall dry has done nothing to control our flies in the run. We have used it for 3 days now, sprinkled and misted. The flies are as bad as ever. Any remedies would be appreciated!

You are lucky to have found Stall Dry. Down here near San Antonio, TX, Tractor Supply (TSC) has quit carrying it. I've tried another product that is for reducing stall smell (PLZ???) but it does nothing for flies and I don't think it contains DE. Still on a quest. Am having to start from scratch with my chickens. A disgusting coon wiped out my last few. I WAS JUST SICK!! I'm in process of redoing my coop and top. Am adding a metal 90 degree rail along the top of coop to secure the netting over the top of run. Am also seriously considering adding 1 inch chicken wire to the top as well as the small nylon "deer mesh" that has acted as the cover. I really miss my chickens. I am a bit side-tracked now, as we have a 2 week old litter of Golden Retrievers in the house! But I hope to have it all up & running again by Thanksgiving. All our visitors just love seeing the chickens and getting their own eggs for breakfast, and I can't believe my husband has actually accepted egg colors other than white!

Back
Top Bottom