Standard Old English Games

I haven't got a clue how to train. I'm brand new. I do have a book though that supposedly I can learn from. :) Maybe now that I know you guys are here I can get some pointers over time. I'm just doing this as a hobby. My father used to tell me stories though!

We let all our chicks out to free range once they're about 2 months old or so. They run and fly and scratch all day. Free ranging as they grow out makes for very healthy birds. It doesnt take them long to be roosting in trees. The older they get, the higher they go. Our free ranging game hens can fly up onto the roof of our house easily. They are very agile birds. Stags are caught up as they start fighting. Show birds are conditioned with plenty of fresh straw in pens to keep them active and moved back and forth from pens with straw to drop pens on grass during the day. We are getting ready to build some new conditioning pens and fly pens also. The conditioning pens will keep them in good feather condition prior to shows, the fly pens give the birds plenty of exercise. You just have to keep them active and busy.

Good luck with your hatch! Yes its very easy to spend a fortune on game chickens. They are very expensive. We have payed $500 for a single bird many times. Here is our old Deadend Grey cock, he was $500. He was the prettiest grey bird I have ever seen.

View attachment 1481769

And here is is grand daughter

View attachment 1481770

They are a pricey breed, but they're a hobby and we enjoy our birds. We have many different lines of American Games and I recently got some Standard Old English Games this year to breed for show.. BBR and SDW.

Most American Gamefowl breeders dont sell eggs or chicks. Most sell quail size, crowing size, or mature trios, pairs, quads, and single birds. I imagine if you did find hatching eggs they did cost a pretty penny.
That is a nice bird and worth every penny.

20180729_125655-jpg.1485461

20180619_192358-jpg.1485467

There are other subtle differences that can keep American Games from competing. My favorite burn is lemon hackle coloration that gets me DQ'ed every time. Most Red Jungle Fowl look more like my American Games than the Standard Old English Games that are considered by SOP to be wild-type BBR.

Then there is the business of ginger.

I have some actual standard Old English Games that Im going to show, but most of our Games are American and dont fit the Old English Standard.
I take the American Games in anyway knowing full well they will be DQ'ed. I have introduced some new blood that will allow selection towards SOP. During interval I will learn about how the pretty fowl business works with games.

I take the American Games in anyway knowing full well they will be DQ'ed. I have introduced some new blood that will allow selection towards SOP. During interval I will learn about how the pretty fowl business works with games.

Here are some American Game stags from my crele project. I am working these closer to the SOP for Old English so I can show them one of these days. They are Kentucky Dom/Kelsos.

Here is one that is double barred. Not SOP at all but a lovely bird.

Screenshot_20180726-195424_Gallery.jpg

Here are his single barred full brothers.

Screenshot_20180729-223205_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180729-223142_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom