Standard Old English Games

Pics
Images from earlier this spring. He is not of my breeding and was acquired as a source of white-skin allele for my Missouri Dominique project. He was a definite man-fighter when acquired so I had to invest effort to break him of that. He still gets too excited over food. He was in cull pen of previous owner so I got him for only $10. His leg was bum for a good 6 months, but I am betting that was an injury related to handling a man-fighter.
2 DOM.jpg

1 DOM.jpg

Today is lock down day for the shipped American Game Fowl eggs I'm incubating. Everything looks good up to lock down. Now all I have to do is to wait, and I shall see what happens. I'm hoping for a good hatch... but if any (at all) hatch I'll be happy with that. Considering how many attempts I've already made... with no success... at the prices they charge for these eggs with no guarantee, whatever hatches will have cost me a small fortune.

Good luck with your hatch! Yes its very easy to spend a fortune on game chickens. They are very expensive. We have payed $500 for a single bird many times. Here is our old Deadend Grey cock, he was $500. He was the prettiest grey bird I have ever seen.

FB_IMG_1532380981312.jpg

And here is is grand daughter

received_2518305801573482.jpeg

They are a pricey breed, but they're a hobby and we enjoy our birds. We have many different lines of American Games and I recently got some Standard Old English Games this year to breed for show.. BBR and SDW.

Most American Gamefowl breeders dont sell eggs or chicks. Most sell quail size, crowing size, or mature trios, pairs, quads, and single birds. I imagine if you did find hatching eggs they did cost a pretty penny.

My starting point with a similar project.
1 DOM.jpg
2 DOM.jpg

Leg color good, but type is off, has a pea comb, and base coloration is not BBR (e+). He has been bred to a BBR hen carrying pattern allele. He is homozygous for whatever is not e+. Next year I should get a percentage that is suitable for show but will be eating most culling out pea comb and pattern allele.

Quote:
4444_crele_h1resized.jpg

4444_crele_c1resized.jpg

This is a couple of pictures of my Large Old English Games from last year. These are not American games or pit games but exhibition type games.

I have raised and shown Large OE since the early 80's. While they are not common they are out there and can be had if you know where to look. Most large game breeders are in the Northeast, and at one time they were a dominate presence in the Show Rooms there, but like a lot of things in the exhibition poultry world they have died off when the old masters died.

I have had BB Red, Red Pyle and now specialize in Crele. I started making them about five years ago and still have a few bugs to work out in the color of the males but I am almost there.

Sam Brush has Blacks, Lemon Blues and I believe Birchen. While at the Poultry Congress last year I saw about 75 Large OE in about 10 varieties with Blue Reds looking the best.

I believe that Clifford Douglas still may sell eggs, a lot of the old breeders did sell eggs to help get the breed out there. Rich Baker had the best Large OE but has retired from showing but still may have a few birds to get eggs from.

Like the fighting type large American games, you will not find a better breed to work with. Lay good, excellent hatches, hardy and excellent foragers

Bob

I am ressurecting this old thread in hopes of seeing if there are other standard Old English breeders here on byc. My husband and I have bred American Games for many years and it was not until this year that I aquired some good show quality Old English stock. I have 2 trios of bb red and one Silver Duckwing trio. I plan on working on a line of Golden Duckwings also by crossing the two in the future. I am excited to hopefully enter some of the offspring from my birds in some shows this fall. :)

This pair of BB Reds is molting but they are very nice when in full feather.

20180527_113548.jpg
20180527_113555.jpg

BB Red hen and her chicks

20180527_113651.jpg

Silver Duckwing trio (one of the hens was broody and we are breaking her up to get her laying again so that is why she is puffed up)

20180527_113443.jpg
20180527_113522.jpg

More BB Reds

20180304_143051.jpg

Owing to rarity of show quality Old English Games, consider breeding in part from American Games to select for qualities typical of the former. Process would be facilitated by having some Old English Games to use as part of the mix.

I have plenty of pure Old English Games to work with. And plenty of American Games as well. I'm not looking for anymore, only wanted to communicate with other breeders.

I am currently working on a line of crele American Games, crossed on Kelso for size, vigor, long backs, and their big full tails. I have gotten a few double barred male chicks this year from my single barred male x single barred female. They are yellow legged, straight comb so I plan on crossing one of the double barred males to a BB red OE Game hen next year to work the creles closer to OE standard and get the line coming white legged.

Here is my crele American Game, aka KY Dom/Kelso pair (single barred)

20180328_160431.jpg
20180525_172648.jpg

Back
Top Bottom