Starting a flock

Hi There I started with 8 week olds. At that age they are still quite small, cute and cheeping but big enough to withstand the weather and generally able to look after themselves. I spent a lot of time in the first 2-4 weeks visiting them in the pen, picking them up, feeding them from my hand etc. so that they would get used to me. They are now 25 weeks old, laying and lovely friendly characters. I feel i have had the fun of them being quite young without too long a wait for eggs - 12 weeks goes by quite quickly. Good luck choosing which way to go and have fun with your flock.

LizS ChooksDownUnder

I have about 8 roosters, two to be culled/ate. All my layers are just coming into their first year so still good there. I'm planning on doing some cross breeding for layers and will cull/eat the roosters. I also plan on breeding some chicks for meat. If the pullets seem to be decent layers I will sell them. But with all the planning in the world, you never know what might happen.

So I ask all of you now that spring is coming. How many new chicks are you getting this year? Are you breeding or buying new stock? Are you downsizing or expanding? What are you doing with your older girls that are spent? Do you have more than one rooster or none? It really doesnt matter when you love chickens guys! Almost like buying a Hershey bar with or without almonds. Starting a flock is like being in a candy store. Every thing looks good and you cant make up your mind whether to get the good and plenty or the ju jubees!
tongue.png
Gonna hatch some chicks to maybe replace 2.5yo hens in fall.
Using some of my own mixed mutt eggs and hopefully a couple other breeds/mixes.
Have 1 good rooster who will probably stay, and his son - who is segregated and will probably become pot pie this spring when chicks go into coop segregation.

Mrs K has it right for most people who keep chickens, I think starting with chicks is the way to go (for me at least). If you have the time its nice to start with chicks, your family can bond with them and watch them grow. Well whatever you decide good luck and remember you have everyone here to help you.

So I ask all of you now that spring is coming. How many new chicks are you getting this year? Are you breeding or buying new stock? Are you downsizing or expanding? What are you doing with your older girls that are spent? Do you have more than one rooster or none? It really doesnt matter when you love chickens guys! Almost like buying a Hershey bar with or without almonds. Starting a flock is like being in a candy store. Every thing looks good and you cant make up your mind whether to get the good and plenty or the ju jubees! :p

Yep!

Ok I have 15 chicks coming the end of March and 9 coming the beginning of May.All girls. I have 5 hens now. Plus I'm getting them from Meyers with the extra Meal maker chickens in each shipment. That means I will end up with 31. I plan on raising them until June and selling about a dozen at Chicken stock. That will depend on if all chicks survive and there are buyers of course. I plan on keeping my older layers in a " retirement " coop.

Last edited:
So ya see guys and gals, to the person who started this thread, it doesnt really matter how you start it because once you do, your hooked! One person has even mentioned a retirement coop for the elderly. Gotta love it! I personaly am starting 2 new breed lines and hatching out some eggs to get it all started. I have some 3 year olds that have served me well and other stock I will try to sell plus some keepers. Keep it happy, keep it simple!

Hi! Silver Silkie here. I would suggest just getting chicks. Chicks make your life easier, because you get used to them and they get used to you. I started with a few adult chickens that I got for free. My dominant rooster was very aggressive when we brought a young Speckled Sussex rooster. When you raise your chickens together as chicks, you will see a lot less fighting between them. (And you will have to use a lot less blood stopping powder)
Another choice would be started pullets. These are the best choice if you only want to wait about a month for eggs. The only con is that they are very pricey from hatcheries although you can probably get them locally too.
Next week I will be ordering 25 chicks to raise till August. I'll sell twenty at the county fair and keep five for myself. Selling pullets at shows or just through the newspaper is a great way to replenish feed costs.

I started with pullets, a few years later had a broody hen and got some fertile eggs and a rooster...she hatched out 5 chicks and I got the bug, found this place while researching how to take care of her in her broodiness and read all the threads on incubation, got the bug and I am currently on my second hatch in the incubator...Love love love raising my chickens!

I would go with chicks. You can have them vaccinated when you buy them. The biggest plus of raising chicks is that they tend to be more gentle and respond better to their human parents. Mine come to me even if I don't have treats and even if I don't call them to me.

The best way to bond with them... they are like men. The way to their heart is through the stomach! My favorite treat for new chicks are meal worms. They will eat out of your hand and latter even jump up to get them if you dangle it in view.

Back
Top Bottom