Starting about 18 BCM eggs tonight. March 24th /25th hatch

Woke up to a very pleasant surprise, 2 chicks are out...one that barely just pipped when I went to bed and is a lavendar ameracauna from a pullet sized egg....she is tiny. And a Jersey giant mix, hes big! But the 3 that pipped early yesterday didn't make any progress at all. The one that pipped in the small end I think is dead because he's not doing anything. I have to put hot water in every 1 1/2 hour for humidity but before I figured it out it was 55% humidity so I'm worried they all got shrinkwrapped since they were the first to pip. I dipped a qtip in water and put it in bendy straws and dabbed the membrane using the vent hole...it might be too late for at least one.
sad.png
The welsummer that has been rocking and chirping like crazy hasn't pipped and is very quiet. Hope his shell isn't too hard. It was so think I could barely see the air cell when candling. But I have two gorgeous chicks so it keeps my spirits up.

I'm feeling so stressed about this hatch. As of this morning we have two chicks (yay!) and I have 2 pips that aren't really progressing at all at all. One of those pips has been sitting since Tuesday. That seems pretty unusual so I'm wondering what's happening with that chick. The other pip was new this morning, but when my fiance called from home on his lunch break he said that that one hadn't progressed either. We're on day 21 today so I hope things start rolling soon at that everything goes smoothly. I know that some eggs won't hatch, and I'm fine with that. But the idea that the chick that pipped on Tuesday was so close and might not make it breaks my heart a bit.

I'm going to leave work after my meeting ends at 2 so that I can be there.

Congrats to kvmommy and john on your new chicks!

I'm so glad I can read about everyone else's experiences since this is my first time. I think we're right on track for our day 21. Peeps this morning and one tiny pip then I had to go to work. Gonna be a long day.

OK, 2 hatched 11 pipping, and I was able to dampen the membrane on 2 of the shrinkwrapped eggs with a qtip and straw and there is a little tiny bit of progress. Yay! I can't believe I have so many pipping right now. Unfortunately none of me OE or Welsummers are pipping. And might I add once again, my little lavender ameracauna is soooo cute. I hope its a pullet...she is too tiny and precious.

I'm so excited for everyone...but just a nervous wreck over mine...not a sound or a rocking from the bator...think my husband felt so bad for me fearing none of the eggs will hatch that he bought me pity chicks from Orscheln's and TSC..I was going to get some anyway...but this time I got a little more than I normally would have been allowed and he didn't do the whole rolling eyes in the back of the head thing...my temp has been holding between 99 and 100 and humidity fluctuating from 65-69% lately...

if your temps during incubating stayed right around 99 degrees does that mean it might take longer for them to hatch? I was wondering this since I've read that still air's should be at 101 degrees...

these are the ones i got from my outing today..

76596_009.jpg

Well i lost the first egg that pipped a couple days ago. he did manage to get about 3/4 zipped but was gone when i got up today. I think the zipping was just to much for him. so i still have 2 of my eggs 1 of them has a pip so i hope it will go ahead and hatch.

I also woke to a chick from my bought eggs and another 1 other egg has pipped. so im just going to play the waiting game and see if it makes it out.

so my count as of now

3 chicks from my nine eggs.

1 Chick from my 10 bought eggs.

Im still holding out hope.

Quote:
Your babies are precious! Isn't it funny when our hubbies feel so bad for us that they do things they don't like doing just for us? I think its sweet. From what I understand for a still air, 99 degrees likely would result in a later hatch. Mine as I mentioned before has had so many temp spikes and tends to run hotter than cooler, so Day 21 isn't until tomorrow and mine began hatching yesterday. I bet yours are just taking their sweet time. Isn't it absolutely nerve-wracking. I thought it was bad waiting for them start and now its worse because they've started and haven't finished! I do think my Jersey giant is a roo. He keeps finding the highest point (digital thermometer and papertowels). he then bumps his head on the heating element and chirps at it like hes mad, then settles down and watches over the eggs. When one starts chirping or rocking, he stands up and chirps like crazy, bumps his head and starts all over. Its hilarious. But I have 2 sick kids right now and can't watch the eggs much. My poor babies...bad timing all around.

Quote:
John, that really sucks...its the worst to lose one sooo close to completion. But congrats on the bought egg chick and good luck!

never fun when the kids are sick - we got three 7, 4 and 3...and two months ago my husband bought the flu stomach from his job (he is soooo generous at times!) and it made its round through all of us...everyone running for the bathroom at the same time is not a pretty sight....so believe me, my heart goes out to you...I don't mind being sick...I hate it when my kids are sick..yeah, i figured my eggs might be running a little late since my temp was low...i read that late hatches don't always make it...bummer. how exciting for you...i can barely stand it i can hardly wait to see a little action coming from the bator like you and everyone else is having!! feel bad for the ones with losses... - i started with 24 eggs but down to 7, so going to wait and see who's the trooper out of the 7, and manages to survive - but the suspense is killing me and then coming on here and reading about all the rock and rolling and pipping you guys are having -
barnie.gif

Quote:
Your babies are precious! Isn't it funny when our hubbies feel so bad for us that they do things they don't like doing just for us? I think its sweet. From what I understand for a still air, 99 degrees likely would result in a later hatch. Mine as I mentioned before has had so many temp spikes and tends to run hotter than cooler, so Day 21 isn't until tomorrow and mine began hatching yesterday. I bet yours are just taking their sweet time. Isn't it absolutely nerve-wracking. I thought it was bad waiting for them start and now its worse because they've started and haven't finished! I do think my Jersey giant is a roo. He keeps finding the highest point (digital thermometer and papertowels). he then bumps his head on the heating element and chirps at it like hes mad, then settles down and watches over the eggs. When one starts chirping or rocking, he stands up and chirps like crazy, bumps his head and starts all over. Its hilarious. But I have 2 sick kids right now and can't watch the eggs much. My poor babies...bad timing all around.

ok, so when I've read the "rocking" part of egg hatching, I wasn't sure what to expect though I had an idea that eggs should be moving - well, I got my first egg-a-rocking! can't see from the position of the other eggs if they're moving but the one up near by the window, i can see the movement..oh this is gut wrenching!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom