starving duck help

I haven't seen her on her property since relocating, I kind of would be trespassing. My husband wants me to report her to the sheriff (animal control) for abuse to animals. It's not a good situation, but feel sorry for the ducts remaining. 'There is also a large geese flock as well.

Please let me know if I should give him heaver dosage with humane dosage. Please look at the pictures I submitted on his feet. He is eating or drinking today, but hopefully tonight like the last few nights.
That poop looks pretty good, color wise, but it looks a little dry, like he's not getting enough water.

Have you ever taken a dog or cat to a vet? What's the first thing that's done at a vet or Dr. office? It's getting a weight. If you want to give him oral medication you *must* weigh him. Then you need to look at your pills/capsules and figure out if you have enough medication to treat him. If Amoxicillin you need ~56 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days.

I think amoxicillin for humans comes in many forms... 250 mg, 500 mg, 800 mg, and 1000 mg, so which ones do you have?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I meant to say he is NOT eating or drinking today, after I did his feet.
If he's not eating or drinking you need to step up your supportive care and start tube feeding. If you don't he will die from dehydration, starvation, or maybe a bacterial infection. If this level of care is too much for you, and you cannot afford a vet, may I suggest that you surrender him to an avian vet or animal control?

-Kathy

Quote:
I do like looking up the various doses, weighing powder, and correcting dosing misinformation.
big_smile.png

I also worry that the foot is infected and may go systemic, but @rockymountain needs to get the duck weighed and figure out if she has enough medication to treat him properly.

-Kathy

In our area they would put them down. You must be old schooled the stronger ones survive. This guy was never given a chance tho from infancy.

In our area they would put them down. You must be old schooled the stronger ones survive. This guy was never given a chance tho from infancy.
Okay, so get busy and get a digital food scale, a 60 ml catheter tip syringe from Tractor Supply, and 16" of aquarium air line, and I'll teach you how to tube.

You still haven't answered my questions about the antibiotics... how mg are they and how many do you have?

-Kathy

If he's not eating or drinking you need to step up your supportive care and start tube feeding. If you don't he will die from dehydration, starvation, or maybe a bacterial infection. If this level of care is too much for you, and you cannot afford a vet, may I suggest that you surrender him to an avian vet or animal control? 

-Kathy

She did say he ate last night, just not today after his foot treatment... he may just be waiting for it to be quiet and dark, it has been a lot of trauma...

I do agree, if it's too much for you to deal with in getting him healthy again, it *might be* best to see if there's any shelters willing to take him in... and I would definitely think about calling to see if animal control/Humane Society, etc could intervene on the other ducks behalf... not to mention the geese... :(

I do like looking up the various doses, weighing powder, and correcting dosing misinformation. :D

I also worry that the foot is infected and may go systemic, but @rockymountain
 needs to get the duck weighed and figure out if she has enough medication to treat him properly.

-Kathy

Yes'm! :D

No ducks can not give a desease to chickens and I really wish the duck lives and heals.

Sorry, but if a duck has a contagious disease it absolutely can be passed to chickens...

If it is healthy, then of course not...

But the DOW warns about migratory flight paths for a reason...

Back
Top Bottom