starving duck help

rockymountain

Songster
7 Years
Jun 14, 2016
I had posted a month ago about abandon ducks, in the chicken forum,from a neighbor that moved and left many ducks they purchased and left. I helped gather them with the realtor, and suggested another neighbor that might take them. The neighbor who took them is old schooled and feeds her animals only donated food from food banks, etc. I kept looking for the ducks on her property and could only see her geese, and just a few ducts maybe three. I thought she must of butchered them. Well tonight I found this starving to death duck in my driveway. I scooped him up and brought home. Hubby not happy. Well anyway I assume it is a he with a few curled tail feathers, but is very weak, so skinny OMG, dirty, etc. I gave him flock food from my chicken food. He over ate and had a hard time swallowing, I thought I killed him from over eating. I tried to make him drink water,

wouldn't touch it. I left him and it appeared he did drink some water. I also added yogurt. Anyway he is very weak, not moving much but did find him sitting up, he has a hurt leg also but can use it. I am waiting to get his strength back and will see if leg is broken etc.

Any advise would be appreciated. Can ducks bring deceases to my chickens? I have the duck in a utility room, that I keep around 50 degree, in a large dog cage. It is shivering a little. Not sure if I should put a heat lamp on him.

Stop right there!! :hugs

You did NOTHING wrong!

You are absolutely doing your best, not your fault someone else abandoned them and another that said they would care for them did not keep up their responsibilities...

And a little yogurt would not hurt him... so don't worry... he would be worse off if he hadn't found you...

Myself, Amiga and Kathy all have ducks... we're more than willing to help you... just keep updating and asking questions... and don't let ANYONE make you feel like you are or will fail him, because in just trying you HAVE NOT! :hugs

I gave him a bath last night before soaking his feet. He absolutely loved it he was diving down flapping his wings plunging head down. Totally lifted his spirits up. After soaking his feet and wrapping. I put him in a clean pen and he was having fun cleaning himself. Was a very happy duck.

update. OMG, I weighed him three times to be-sure. he is at 6lbs. I just couldn't believe it. His leg is also doing much better. When touching not as warm almost normal temp as other leg. I do have a new problem. He has developed a sore above where their tail feather curls up for boys. I took a picture. Hopefully not mites, YIKES. I also noticed a lot of small feathers coming off of him at bath time. I do have him in a 75 degree room which is a different environment that he was in. Since I am not familiar with ducks. What should a normal healthy duck weigh, also is there a breed name for him? I also have to mention every-time he sees me he wags his tail so fast like a little puppy. I just love how loving they are compared to chickens.

Ok I agree with what ravynfallen sorry about that but I mean that most domestic ducks cannot pass disease to most chickens unless the duck is wild or has very fatal harmful disease. But you are amost absolutely right.

Contagious, harmful diseases aren't just in the wild though... Marek's, MS, MG, IB, LT are not as uncommon as you might think in backyard flocks... most that are contagious can and will pass between chickens and ducks, but ducks are usually more resistant... doesn't mean they won't carry it and possibly infect other flocks, chickens or ducks...

It's just very wise to always quarantine any bird brought in from anywhere else, but especially when it's care has not been kept up properly... :)

Thank you, I am trying he gives me those eyes that he knows I am trying to help. Again every night I don't know if he will be with us but I am trying to my best to give this chance, so sorry I have screwed up along the way.

You are doing a great job. A lot of people wouldn't put in the effort. Pat yourself on the back. That duck is really lucky to have found you.

There is a lot of misinformation out there and you learn very quickly that not everything you read is correct. With any topic you will find many contradictions. It is hard to know what is right and wrong. It is not in any way your fault! Mistakes will happen. All you can do is do your best and YOU are doing your best. I thank you for trying. We need more people like you!

Like casportpony says, do get the feeding tube stuff. Just in case. You may not need it, but if you do, having it on hand will make things easier. This may have already been mentioned but.... You might want to add to your list the Kaytee Exact Baby Bird food. Or at least find out where you can get it in your area, if the need arises. (It's the food you use to give tube feedings) If you have a Pestmart near by you can get it there.

And one last thing. I'm sure you understand at this point, contradictory so some postings on this thread, that diseases can and do pass between ducks and chickens. RavynFallen is absolutely right on that! In addition to that advice I'd like to add that I've been told to not only quarantine but to also understand that you yourself can transmit from one area to another. For example, don't wear the same clothes/shoes or use the same equipment while cleaning out the ducks area that you use in the chickens area. You could potentially pass disease through your shoes etc.

Good luck. Hang in there.

I haven't had to deworm ducks, I think a fecal test would tell you quite a bit.

Botulism generally makes them act drunk - the thought of giving a flush to an already-starved duck gives me the willies . . . you need to go with your instinct, but be careful. I think I might add some charcoal (food grade activated charcoal) to water and give him that to drink, if you think he's ingested toxins.

There is a flush and slurry recipe list in the Stickies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

So glad this poor guy found you!

I would second the fecal that Amiga suggested. Just to be sure it isn't worms, or if it is, what kind because worming dosages can vary depending on what worm. It's been a while but I believe cappilaria (sp) will need higher doses than other more common worms and dictate which wormer to use. Fecal tests are easy to have done. Any vet can do them. If you have an avian vet take a sample there. But if you don't then a normal dog and cat vet can do a fecal for you. I have mine tested twice a year to know whether or not I need to worm and it is relatively cheap. $12-$15 range.

Those poor feet! Wow! If you do have access to an avian vet give them a call and ask for suggestions on antibiotics. They may be able to prescribe something. Over the counter antibiotics won't be as strong and by the looks of that swollen toe you may need strong!

@casportpony Helped me tremendously with a sick duck a year ago, she may have some advice for you. She always told me to keep him warm. I think it was around the 90 degree range. Being warmer helps with their healing. She suggested a hot water bottle for him so that he could lay with it. It seemed very comforting for him. I also had a heat lamp on for him. She has treated just about everything it seems and is a wealth of information. She is my ducks angel for sure.

Good luck. Hope the little guy makes it. He is one lucky duck to have found you.

Good advice given by Ravyn as to foot treatment. You would do well to use quarantine measures with this bird as there are diseases and parasites that are common to both ducks and chickens.

Back
Top Bottom