starving duck help

If he has worms, garlic won't fix that... Safeguard 10% goat dewormer is your best bet, liquid or paste... weigh him and the dosage is 0.23cc/mL per pound once a day for 5 days in a row...

I highly recommend Safeguard, it saved my flock of Calls from a severe worm infestation...

I haven't had to deworm ducks, I think a fecal test would tell you quite a bit.

Botulism generally makes them act drunk - the thought of giving a flush to an already-starved duck gives me the willies . . . you need to go with your instinct, but be careful. I think I might add some charcoal (food grade activated charcoal) to water and give him that to drink, if you think he's ingested toxins.

There is a flush and slurry recipe list in the Stickies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

His poop is dark dark green, with white outer coating. I think this is a good sign not being runny. I am first trying to get his weight and health up as well as feet better, than will determine what to to do from there. So much info on this sight by searching it gets confusing. I appreciate everybody,s advise so far. Back to the store tomorrow for iodine, antibiotic, charcoal stuff, hopefully our local farm store caries this stuff. Lately checked on him. Happily to report, he is laying with head normal tonight. Last night his head was extended laying on floor. Tonight his head is looking normal tucking under his wing sleeping
smile.png

That's awesome! Solid poops is great, like I said just watch for excessive watery ones (unless he just chugged a lot of water, lol) or foamy/yellowish, those are no good...

Tucking in his head is a great sign! Great job! :thumbsup

So glad this poor guy found you!

I would second the fecal that Amiga suggested. Just to be sure it isn't worms, or if it is, what kind because worming dosages can vary depending on what worm. It's been a while but I believe cappilaria (sp) will need higher doses than other more common worms and dictate which wormer to use. Fecal tests are easy to have done. Any vet can do them. If you have an avian vet take a sample there. But if you don't then a normal dog and cat vet can do a fecal for you. I have mine tested twice a year to know whether or not I need to worm and it is relatively cheap. $12-$15 range.

Those poor feet! Wow! If you do have access to an avian vet give them a call and ask for suggestions on antibiotics. They may be able to prescribe something. Over the counter antibiotics won't be as strong and by the looks of that swollen toe you may need strong!

@casportpony Helped me tremendously with a sick duck a year ago, she may have some advice for you. She always told me to keep him warm. I think it was around the 90 degree range. Being warmer helps with their healing. She suggested a hot water bottle for him so that he could lay with it. It seemed very comforting for him. I also had a heat lamp on for him. She has treated just about everything it seems and is a wealth of information. She is my ducks angel for sure.

Good luck. Hope the little guy makes it. He is one lucky duck to have found you.

Good advice given by Ravyn as to foot treatment. You would do well to use quarantine measures with this bird as there are diseases and parasites that are common to both ducks and chickens.

Lots of Advise given........Seems to me you have a handle on it......Giving and sick animal wormer is not good.....Wait till it is stronger.....

Besides its feet......It could be rather healthy and just got cold and run down..............Start by keeping it warm, fed. watered and looked after......Time resting it could bounce back without all the doom and gloom provided.....

Best of luck.........

Cheers!

Last edited:
@rockymountain , lots of good info so far. @duckitup and @RavynFallen are correct, a warm room will really help, and the temp I shoot for is usually 80-85 degrees F. Great that he's eating, but go slow, 'cause too much food when they haven't eaten or had enough to drink can kill them.

Can you take him ti a vet? Really would be best to have a vet look him over and check his poop under a scope for worms, coccidia, bacteria, and yeast.

Can you post a picture of his poop?

If he were mine I would deworm him with Safeguard liquid or paste. The 0.23 ml that ravynfallen mentioned will treat large roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms, and might even treat some species of tape worms.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Update, he is eating his flock food and water. I had to wash him as he stunk so bad, like rolling in animal poop for a while. Did an inspection of his feet, the bad foot he holds up has only one dark spot that appears something embedded itself deep, very swollen. His only foot he uses looks awful, many black spots. After I bathed him I soaked his feet only in epson salt for 15 min. than put rubbing alcohol on both feet bottoms with neosporen spread everywhere. When drying him wrapped in a towel we tried to dig out the black spot to remove possible thorn. While squeezing the swollen part removed some black stuff couldn't find an actual thorn. We might need to do some digging with a sharp object tomorrow. Decided to wait to see if the swelling will go down, or since we broke it open the object might work itself out.

I did replace his water dish with a deeper dish. Also gave him smashed tomatoes with two sections of garlic. His living condition sleeping on waste and drinking from a septic pond, as well as the ditch I found him laying in mud water before I rescued him. I am thinking of trying to find antibiotics tomorrow at a farm store if possible, any suggestions. Also do ducks need sand/grit in their diet to digest food like chickens.
Bad Foot

Foot he uses

Both feet
Garlic won't deworm him, and it's on the list of foods that birds shouldn't have, so I would discontinue the garlic. No grit needed if he's getting crumbles, and the crumbles should *not* be lay crumbles because they have too much calcium for birds that aren't laying.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom