starving duck help

I live around some old schooled farmers as well. You may need to "think" like them to get through to her. Here are a couple of ideas.... Many farmers get rid of their excess animals before winter sets in so they won't have to feed them. So perhaps you could approach her on that note. Something like hey since they weren't yours in the first place and it's my fault they got "dumped" on you I can take them now so you don't have to feed them over winter. Or another idea may be approach it from a 4H angle. Many farmers started out in 4H and have a soft spot for it. You could tell her that your children/niece/nephew is getting into 4H and ask if she would be willing to donate the ducks and geese for their project or if you could purchase them from her for it?

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for being such a good human being. All of my birds are special to me but my ducks really have a special place in my heart. They seem so sweet and innocent. You've done a great job so far. Kudos to you!
1f493.png

Thank you , you are right on, the pictures helped. I am so glad not a mite etc.so much learning in a short period of taking care of this little guy.

I looked up pekin, they are all white with yellow bill. This one has a green bill and is light grey feathered on the head and is cream feathered on the body with pearl colors blended on his back feathers.

You are correct, Lucky isn't a Pekin. His color is silver (splash). He could be an Indian Runner or a Swedish duck, or quite possibly a mixture of breeds. Can venture a better guess once he has fully recovered and filled out.

You have done an AWESOME job rehabbing this drake! He has come a long way in a short time. The fact that he is your first experience with a duck is just amazing. You have been thru and learned a lot in last several weeks. Your dedication to this guy really shows. I'm so glad you found knowledgeable, caring and supportive people to help you thru this situation. WOW! already up to 6 pounds. Love reading and seeing pic updates of Lucky.

update- the weight was wrong, he is actually at 4lbs, not sure why my previous reading was wrong. He is now standing on both feet. not sure if there is pain on his one foot that is still slightly swollen.

Update, I have to share, my duck is like a little toddler learning to walk. He is not use to having two legs again and relearning how to walk with two feet. His leg must of been hurt for a very long time. It is really sweet how he walks around, I will try to get a video before he masters this task,so you can see what I mean.

Oh, poor guy!! Thank you for picking him up!!

Yes, he's a drake... and I would keep him isolated from your flock for now... anything *could* carry disease, quarantine is always recommended...

Since he's shivering, I would set up a heat source nearby, but not directly on him hot... just enough to bump the temp where he is about 15°... you can also wet down the chicken feed until he slows his eating down a bit... any obvious injury on his leg or foot? Check for black spots on the bottom of his foot, bumblefoot is a possibility...

Back
Top Bottom