starving duck help

As I've been reading this I've realized that some people are just so nice and good hearted. Rarely do I see people who go outside and see an animal injured and say, "I need to help that poor animal." Instead they say, "Get that animal out of my yard! I don't have any room to keep a nasty duck here!" I'm SOOO glad to see he's getting so much better! He is SOOO lucky to have you. You give him a fighting chance to live a better life! DON'T bring yourself down into thinking you've done wrong and he's going to die. Everybody makes mistakes, we're not perfect! In his eyes, you are his world. You can help him get another chance at life, a better one too. One person suggested to put him in warm water to lay in. When I had my ducks, I had a heat lamp over them and they loved to lay right up under it. You could run him a warm bath when his legs gets stronger and see if he can swim yet. Of course not too deep otherwise he might dround. Keep us updated on how he is! I hope he will make it!
1f60a.png
1f61f.png

If he doesn't make it, dont think it's your fault. You were the one trying your best to save him. Without you he could've died in a lot more pain than he would with you helping. To him, I'm sure he appreciates what you've done for him, mistake or no mistake he will thank you! Good luck!

update, he did eat some last night or this morning, as well as water. He also ate all the frozen peas but didn't care for the lettuce. I weighted him and he is 2.5 lbs. I do have niacin in tablet form, how do you give it to the duck, and how much?
:eek: He looks MUCH better!! Great job!! Doesn't even look like the same drake you brought in!! Glad he is eating, that's very positive... I'd skip the lettuce since he's not eating that, but keep giving him the rest... wonderful improvement...

The picture of food and water was suppose to give you an idea how much he ate last night to this morning. His water bowl is very large and can submerse his beak into. I am realizing he never have been given foul food for last four months so his diet is different from our spoiled chickens, etc. He seems to only eat once a day. This is most likely what he can take on for food, since he never had actual flock food for several months, He has lived with no help in previous feeding of flock food but managed to survive. But may need to relearn, with his body to eat everyday. Thanks for every-ones help. New things I noticed he hisses through his nose at my dog and cat, he also is now starting to groom himself. Good things so small. His bad leg is still swollen, so starting him with additional antibiotic.

The picture of food and water was suppose to give you an idea how much he ate last night to this morning.  His water bowl is very large and can submerse his beak into.  I am realizing he never have been given foul food for last four months so his diet is different from our spoiled chickens, etc.  He seems to only eat once a day. This is most likely what he can take on for food, since he never had actual flock food for several months,  He has lived with no help in  previous feeding of flock food but managed to survive. But may need to relearn, with his body to eat everyday.  Thanks for every-ones help. New things I noticed he hisses through his nose at my dog and cat, he also is now starting to groom himself.  Good things so small. His bad leg is still swollen, so starting him with additional antibiotic.

As long as he eats, it's fine if it's just at night... and he might not be able to eat very much at once anyways... just keep an eye on his weight and as long as he does not lose weight he should be ok... gaining may or may not be slow, so don't worry about pushing him on the food too hard if he's maintaining and/or gaining...

Hissing is good and so is grooming!

Give him some swim time in deep enough water that he doesn't stand in it... stay with him just in case, but the hydrotherapy is good for his swollen leg...

Keep up the good work... :hugs

Last edited:
I agree, he looks so much better already!! Kudos to all your love and care for him. RavynFallen has given some good advise. Hydrotherapy is good for his leg, his feathers and probably his ducky well being. Just keep feeding him as you are. Sometimes people try to push too much on them at once and that too can stress their bodies out. Any animal going from starvation to good food will be a shock to their system and him gaining gradually is a great sign. Can't wait to see pics of him in another couple of weeks.

I gave him a bath last night before soaking his feet. He absolutely loved it he was diving down flapping his wings plunging head down. Totally lifted his spirits up. After soaking his feet and wrapping. I put him in a clean pen and he was having fun cleaning himself. Was a very happy duck.

Back
Top Bottom