starving duck help

The original people who purchased the ducks lived down the street. They listed their house and moved away last July. I came across lots of ducks on the road in Sept ?and called the realtor who told me no one was taking of the ducks, she has brought them some bread. I brought food and helped the realtor to catch the ducks. She asked if I knew anyone who would take them I suggest my neighbor. Well the neighbor I suggested, turns out to not feed them also, she free ranges her birds. I feel really bad for the bad beginnings for theses ducks which were a spring hatch. The neighbor who took them bought another farm and has been moving, and seems to begone now. Farm not listed yet. Her cows most likely butchered left a few days ago, and the rest of her birds seem gone as of yesterday.
ooooohhhhh, ok

well at least you have your little buddy and he is getting great care, good luck on others though

Last night I gave him, I am calling him "lucky duck" a bath and a soak on his feet. He was a little weaker this time and fell asleep during his foot soaking. I decided to do the swim time maybe every couple of days, as he is still weak. He has been given antibiotics, very hard to not to spill when given hopefully this will kick in on his weak leg. He has been using to itch his head which made me think it is working for him to use his weak leg. The other leg is appearing to have some healing going on the black spots are getting smaller. My daughter inlaw, is coming over this weekend and is a vet assistant, has treated chickens before but told me to buy a tool, for cutting, just in case she needs to treat and drain the swollen leg. I hope the antibiotics reduce the swelling before we cut it open tho.

Well I have to admit, I am at fault for all the ducks suffering. I did recommend this neighbor and really should of known better, from past experience in her treatments of animals. I just didn't know who could take on 10 plus ducks at the time to confine them from the road.

I did notice tonight that the geese and two remaining ducks there alone, swimming in the septic drain pond. So sad as there was at least 10 ducks at the beginning. I found out tonight one of the ducks not including the two I saw today, got hit by a car in front of their place the other day
sad.png

The neighbor called tonight worried if she left her dog as well. This whole thing sucks, I don,t want to mention my duck, with authorities as I don't want them to take him away as well. I will just claim he came from the original flock and wasn't hers. As I did witness a few ducks flew when catching the original from the first owners.

Kathy thank you for reminding me to weight him, he is now 3 lbs. I will increase his dosage for weight ratio on antibiotics. Is this a good sign 1/2 pound increase? I was a little concerned last night for him being a little weak.

A new picture

Kathy thank you for reminding me to weight him, he is now 3 lbs. I will increase his dosage for weight ratio on antibiotics. Is this a good sign 1/2 pound increase? I was a little concerned last night for him being a little weak.

A new picture
1/2 a pound is a good gain! Which antibiotic are you giving him?

-Kathy

Update, with his past. I called my neighbor that is moving she was very formative. She stated after she took on the ducks they flow away like crazy,y she had no control where they went. She insisted she gave them food but they left her property and wasn't able to control them leaving. Always offered food. I told her about my duck and she wanted him after recovery, I said NO, you don't know if this is one of the ducks recovered but found laying and dying in the ditch. She agreed about my duck, but I asked about the other two remaining if I possible could have one of them for my duck. and that was not a option for now.

Very sad situation, what should I do about the other two ducks still alive? Any suggestions, I am at a loss to fight for them? She is very old schooled. I tired the I have a sick duck situation and did'nt go well. She just told me to toss my duck, over the fence when well. I confirmed tho my duck could of been from previous owners and ended up at my property. She is in her eighties and very strong farmer. Should I continue to help the last two? Any help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom