Stella's Social Club

Okay, that stab at it was meaningless. That stinking exchequer sailed over the pallet like it wasn't there.

I have two rows of runs, with like an alley between them. When DH is here and chickens get out, we corral them there from each end and I can usually grab them. Apparently DH is more effective at the end than a pallet.

Okay, here I go again. I have to come in to cool off between attempts. I don't want it to get dark because they could try to go anywhere to sleep. The thing that pi$$e$ me off. They have spent the whole day trying to figure out how to get back into the runs.

JUST LET ME CATCH YOU, YOU STINKING CHICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AW deb that stinks. Martha Stewart just escaped when I opened the gate to toss in some leftover rice. She was easy to catch though because she is old and slow. I just had to bend over and pick her up.
gig.gif

Another question- ideas please?

Take a look at this video, yesterday morning I went out to check the grower pen and found an Ameraucana pullet, about 5 weeks old, on it's side, unable to walk. It has been exceptionally hot the last few days so I brought it in thinking it may be heat related. No change since then. If I try to make her walk she pushes straight back with her legs and falls over backwards. I've given her some baby vitamins yesterday and today but it would be strange for vitamin deficiencies to show up at this age. They have access to ground, grass, chick feed, and water 24 hours a day. I thought this was an isolated incident and maybe neurological in nature. She is eating chick feed off the floor of the box around her and if I help her she can drink, too. She went to bed tonight with a full crop. Poo seems runny but otherwise normal.

Then today I found a young BCM cockerel, about 3 months old, from a different pen about 100 yards away. These yards have no contact, and I do not enter the baby pen as it is only 2 feet tall, so no shoe transfer. Same behavior except he can stand a little. He, too, will eat and drink but does not need assistance to do so. He has very watery runny poo. I'm guessing that's more because of the heat today (well over 100 degrees).

I'm stumped. Eyes are clear, they don't seem off balance just like they don't know how to use their legs. The male does seem very sleepy. Marek's doesn't seem likely. No new birds have been brought in. Any other ideas?

Another question- ideas please?

Take a look at this video, yesterday morning I went out to check the grower pen and found an Ameraucana pullet, about 5 weeks old, on it's side, unable to walk. It has been exceptionally hot the last few days so I brought it in thinking it may be heat related. No change since then. If I try to make her walk she pushes straight back with her legs and falls over backwards. I've given her some baby vitamins yesterday and today but it would be strange for vitamin deficiencies to show up at this age. They have access to ground, grass, chick feed, and water 24 hours a day. I thought this was an isolated incident and maybe neurological in nature. She is eating chick feed off the floor of the box around her and if I help her she can drink, too. She went to bed tonight with a full crop. Poo seems runny but otherwise normal.

Then today I found a young BCM cockerel, about 3 months old, from a different pen about 100 yards away. These yards have no contact, and I do not enter the baby pen as it is only 2 feet tall, so no shoe transfer. Same behavior except he can stand a little. He, too, will eat and drink but does not need assistance to do so. He has very watery runny poo. I'm guessing that's more because of the heat today (well over 100 degrees).

I'm stumped. Eyes are clear, they don't seem off balance just like they don't know how to use their legs. The male does seem very sleepy. Marek's doesn't seem likely. No new birds have been brought in. Any other ideas?
Mareks is everywhere. Those symptoms look like Mareks.

She will probably recover and be fine. Keep her inside and separated and help her eat and drink. Feed her scrambled eggs and give her the vitamins.

Okay, I just put on a headlamp and made one final stab at it. No chick, but two sets of eyes glowing back at me in the dark. They did not move away when I yelled and clapped my hands at them. That chick is toast.
sad.png

Lonnyandrinda PLEASE post in detail and with your video on the" Emergencies, diseases, injuries , cures thread" ASAP they have very experienced people monitoring that site. Sure hope it isn't Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom