Still getting frostbite - roosting boxes or something else

Corbin_Dallas

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
Central Ohio
I've been running chickens in a mobile coop (think small scale Primal Farms style, see my other posts) and have been quite happy with the results - until now.

I'm seeing signs of frostbite on my rooster's comb. With the sides rolled down, the coop is draft free and well ventilated, however, looking back at weather conditions it is possible the frostbite is from windchill and entirely my fault: I've been keeping bottoms rolled up during the day, especially with the warm weather we had last week and I may not have responded to the dropping temperatures quickly enough. Without knowing for sure, I'm still a bit concerned as its not that cold yet and I'm not exactly doing the 'normal' coop thing.

Per temperature probes this morning, ambient conditions were 34F / 74% RH, conditions in coop at roosting bar height were 35F / 74% RH - probably within range of error for the probes

Although the wet ground 3 feet beneath them may be a factor, I don't think its possible to do better than ambient in an unconditioned space. If this is true the only solution I see is to raise the temperature. Don't worry, I'm not talking heaters, just doing a better job capturing and their natural warmth. I'm thinking some sort of huddle boxes in the existing coop or worst case a separate coop just big enough for sleeping.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Pics of your coop, and the males comb, would help immensely here.

Although the wet ground 3 feet beneath them may be a factor,
No doubt about it.
How wet is it?
Is water flowing into the enclosure?
Do you have any bedding there?

Don't worry, I'm not talking heaters, just doing a better job capturing and their natural warmth.
How would you do that without sacrificing ventilation?
Most their 'natural heat' will stay under their feathers, and in no way will dry out an already humid environment.

Back
Top Bottom