Still waiting

I still have the single hatch. The other eggs are still and silent. I am a bit worried to be honest. Letting the little guy stay in the incubator until tomorrow he seems very lively and has even left a little gift for me to clean up later.

I don't know what the float test is. Is there a thread that explains this? It's only just day 21 today so I really do want to give it another 24/48 hours.

Anything new this morning?

Yea, you aren't really ready for the float test. Its usually done at the end, when you aren't sure about final eggs. (Although you can do it any time) You take a bowl of warm water (95-99ish), place the egg gently into it, air cell up. It should float.. AND if the chick is still alive, it should also wiggle in the water. Sometimes you have to let the water settle and get still, then wait a few seconds for the egg to move. But if the chick is still active, it should bobble/wiggle/dance in the water on its own. If it sinks, its likely a goner. Obviously this test is not 100% definitive, but its usually a good indication. Well, I guess if it moves, you can be certain its alive! (my final 2 still floated, but didn't wiggle...)

also search youtube... there are several videos out there.

Last edited:
Anything new this morning?  

Yea, you aren't really ready for the float test.  Its usually done at the end, when you aren't sure about final eggs.  (Although you can do it any time)  You take a bowl of warm water (95-99ish), place the egg gently into it, air cell up.  It should float.. AND if the chick is still alive, it should also wiggle in the water.  Sometimes you have to let the water settle and get still, then wait a few seconds for the egg to move.  But if the chick is still active, it should bobble/wiggle/dance in the water on its own.  If it sinks, its likely a goner.   Obviously this test is not 100% definitive, but its usually a good indication.  Well, I guess if it moves, you can be certain its alive!   (my final 2 still floated, but didn't wiggle...)

also search youtube... there are several videos out there.

Thanks! There is still not sign of hatching so I am pretty sure the rest gave up. I'm sad that we only had the one to hatch. I will do the float test today (day 23) but I'm almost positive they won't hatch. I don't know what could have gone wrong with them. I candled on lockdown day and they all seemed fine. *sigh*

I feel like our little chick is lonely. Maybe I should buy him/her a companion?

I won't let this discourage me from trying again. This has been a definite learning experience.

Thanks! There is still not sign of hatching so I am pretty sure the rest gave up. I'm sad that we only had the one to hatch. I will do the float test today (day 23) but I'm almost positive they won't hatch. I don't know what could have gone wrong with them. I candled on lockdown day and they all seemed fine. *sigh*

I feel like our little chick is lonely. Maybe I should buy him/her a companion?

I won't let this discourage me from trying again. This has been a definite learning experience.

I'm so sorry. Buying a companion or 2 is a good idea if you only get one out. Good luck! And yes, try again!

Back
Top Bottom