Store bought egg experiment

I just bought a dozen of organic, pasture raised brown eggs from the store. I had heard people talking about store bought eggs hatching so I decided to try. I cracked one egg and it was fertile. View attachment 3324903
I replaced the cracked egg with one of my Easter egger eggs and numbered all the eggs. I got the incubator set up and put them in.
View attachment 3324908
Feel free to follow along, I will post weekly updates when I candle and am planning on updating every Wedensday.

I candled again today. Scout and Snuggles, (previously Snowy.) are both very alive and moving! About the same amount of growth in both. Scout is from a store bought egg but Snuggles was a fertilized egg from my Easter Egger. It is officially day 7. I candled all the eggs and checked for babies, every egg got candled twice. Scout and Snuggles are the only two babies sadly, but the fact that there are any babies is exciting! I threw out all the clear eggs so now Scout and Snuggles look so lonely in the incubator.
So you’re doing this from refrigerated eggs?! 😃

So you’re doing this from refrigerated eggs?! 😃
Yup!
You may have a very small hatch rate because of the refrigeration these eggs have undergone prior to appearing on the grocers shelves.
I know, I didn't expect any to survive so I was surprised when I realized I had two!
:jumpyHow exciting! I never thought to try it. Following to see how hatching goes!

My guess on breed would be Reds, but I'm curious to see who pops out. 😉
Rhode Island Reds?

Back
Top Bottom