storing bulk maple syrup?

Ether

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The price of maple is climbing and is predicted to skyrocket soon. I generally keep a pint or so in my fridge, but I can buy maple syrup from the bulk tubs at my local health food store. What I'm wondering is how can I store a bulk amount of maple syrup without taking over my fridge? I've tried leaving a jar out, and it starts to ferment, so that's not how to do it. I'm wondering if I were to process it in jars as I would other syrups or jams, if I could then store it on the shelf without it fermenting? Any thoughts? I know it is possible to just buy pre-sealed jugs of maple at the grocery, but the price of those is already prohibitive as far as stocking up is concerned.

I have the Ball Blue Book & it has a recipe for Maple Walnut Syrup:

Maple Walnut Syrup

1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups walnut pieces
(I'd never add it in, gross)
wink.png

Combine corn syrup, maple syrup, water & sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat & simmer syrup about 15 minutes or until thick. Stir in nuts. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 4 half pints.

Dunno if a bought syrup has enough sugar to 'safely' can just by heating or simmering by itself. But you could always try a batch of this just to see how it'd taste & you'd end up with more syrup with only adding in 1 cup maple syrup & having 4 half pints when finished. The nuts don't add any acidity so it would not be a problem omitting them out. Hope this helps.
smile.png

we made 58 pints last spring and just hot packed it (boil, stick in mason jar, screw on lid) and store it in the basement. We did make sure it was concentrated enough, if the sugar concentration isn't high enough it will ferment.

I am not experienced in this however I have been doing tons of research on long term food storage for my family. Most information I found regarding maple syrup storage say the same thing:

Unopened syrup will store for months. Maple syrup should be refrigerated after opening, where it will stay fresh in a plastic jug for three to four months. Glass is best for longer periods.

Maple syrup may also be frozen for long-term storage; transfer your syrup to a glass jar (leaving 1/2" to 1" of head room) and freeze. The syrup will not freeze completely; an hour or so at room temperature should bring it to pouring consistency. Remove the amount of syrup desired and return the container to the freezer.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you know what concentration it needs to be for storage? I can certainly evap it more if need be. Also, if it matters, I tend to use Grade B syrup.

I buy my syrup by the gallon $38.00 for plastic $42.00 for glass. It is sealed and will last a long time. I buy from a business in Mackinaw City, Michigan. Maybe you can find someone in your area. It is always cheaper, and better than the store.

Do you know what concentration it needs to be for storage? I can certainly evap it more if need be. Also, if it matters, I tend to use Grade B syrup.

If your buying the syrup from anyone it should be the "right" concentration. It should be like well syrup, and not runny. To make it more concentrated it very very quickly will turn into maple candy in your pot after it cools. You can also store it in a jar/bottle with a very narrow neck, this will minimize any spoilage.​

Back
Top Bottom