Story of a boy and his chickens.

I love the picture of the chickens watching the pumpkin get carved.
smile.png

Looks so familiar. My older birds also still like the chick waterers. ALL chickens like to hang out by the back door and poop everywhere, waiting for a snack, see what you're up to, maybe going to get a shovel and dig up worms!

Looks so familiar.  My older birds also still like the chick waterers.  ALL chickens like to hang out by the back door and poop everywhere, waiting for a snack, see what you're up to, maybe going to get a shovel and dig up worms! 

Thanks for the reply. They have been a joy for sure and yes I have to hose off the deck every evening now! The chick feeders I just use as grit and oyster shell dispensers. Figured I would put them to use.

This was the first day in almost two weeks that I contemplated not checking the nest boxes on account of the rain and just a bit sad I finally rehomed Matty Ice the Deleware cockerel today. But to my surprise there was a second egg next to one of the ceramic ones in the nest boxes. Tiny little guy but nice and solid. No layer feed just flock raiser and oyster shell on the side.

Glad you found someone who'll give him a new home, he was a great looking rooster. Congratulations on the first egg, waiting for it can seem like an eternity. Hopefully before long you'll be wondering what to do with all of them.

Congrats on the first egg!

I have 50 birds and am still waiting for my pullets to lay. They are just at that age where you can't be sure if they will lay or not. Hopefully we can stop buying eggs from the store soon and start getting some of our own soon.

Didn't find any on Wednesday but did find one yesterday and a warm one first thing this morning. 3 total now

Last edited:
It's always rewarding to find the first eggs. I've been getting pullet eggs for a few weeks now from two. The pullets' yolk always seems richer than the other birds' yolks.

Back
Top Bottom