Straight run chicks

thowe

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
NH
I am new to chickens and have always wanted them. I'm finally getting them in the spring! I have ordered from Mcmurry Hatchery
Straight run 4 buff brahmas, ST 5 blue cochins, ST 6 blr wyandotte, ST 5 buff silkies, female 3 buff orpingtons, female 2 salmon faverolles. So my ? is...... what are my chances of getting females in the straight runs that I have ordered? My DH said NO
roos:/. I may be able to make a few tears and get to keep one roo;) . Any opinions????

It is usually 50/50, but there have been stories of much worse percentages leaning on the side of roos. I hope you get to keep a roo..they are great to have.

Jody

Thanks for your reply. 50/50 would be ok with me, I am only keeping 6-8 chickens and giving or selling the rest of them. A friend of mine wants 4 hens no roos and another friend wants 2 hens. I don't think I will have trouble finding good homes.

Tisha

I notice you already have homes for extra HENS. This fits with my experience. INMHO You won't have any trouble finding good homes for the hens but good luck with the roosters. If you try very hard you can usually find homes for one, maybe two. For the rest it will be the soup pot. If this bothers you, save yourself some agony and order sexed pullets. By the way there is a failure rate for sexed pullets of about 10% so it is still possible to wind up with one or two roosters. Also it is never that hard to find a nice little guy if you decide you can have one later. The buy sell trade section here always has lots, and you can pick and choose.

also a good idea is to sell your chickens in trios or quads to help you get rid of the rooster. 2 hens and a roo or no deal or 3 hens and a roo or no deal...all of these at a set price...that way u dont get stuck with all roos

Here is an example for you. I ordered 25 welssumer pullets from a hatchery. At 11 weeks I now have 20 pullets and 4 definite ROOS.. Lost one the other day that is why it is not 25 anymore. Now I will sell 2 trios to get rid of the roos. So pullets aren't always pullets;)

I agree, if you only want one roo, just order ONE roo. They are hard to rehome. I ordered five St run cochins from a hatchery and ended up with five cochin roos that I couldn't get rid of, even for free. Four ended up in the freezer. I know this isn't always the case, but just know it could be.

Some hatcheries DO tell you that "straight run" is anything left over after they have filled their other orders for the day. So this can mean you get all or almost all roos from these hatcheries when they have lots of "all pullets" orders.

HTH

I ordered from Mcmurray, and I want blue cochins and some other ones I really like. I really only want one pullet of each kind. They don't come sexed, only straight run. So I ordered 5 of each. What are my chances? T

Back
Top Bottom