Stray Cats, How do I lure them in?!?

ellie62706

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
I'm a crazy animal person. I know it is just about kitten season, and I also know I have a few stray cats in my neighborhood. Most of them are intact. I want to start a TNR program because of my local shelter always has a bunch of cats,(It's a kill shelter) and I know the outcome for a lot of neonatal kittens brought in are... not good. So, I want to lure in the cats... But how if I barely see them...:confused::hmm

Thanks!!;)

Make a safe, low, dark place that's sheltered but easy to get into for a cat. Make sure it's where they aren't going to be disturbed, and put food in it. Especially water, if you're in a dry area like I am. Give them time to get used to using it, and then wait until they're in, and put traps on all the exits. Live traps, obviously, since you want to TCR them. If anyone else is doing that, they should be identified by a notch in one ear that marks them as already neutered. If you can get them before they give birth, it'll prevent more kittens. There are already far too many cats and kittens that can't find homes.

I have a suggestion for the traps. Bait them but fix them so they don't trip for a few days. Let the cats get a little used to going in and out of the traps. That way when you do start to trap them, they won't get trap shy. Also, if you have a group of cats that you are feeding there is an oral contraceptive available. PM me and I can get the information for you. I'll have to look it up again. I have a friend in California who does this. She puts the contraceptive in some canned food once a week and she has not had any kittens for a couple years.

Thanks for all the info!! I set up a safe nook for the kitties with a bowl of food, it's gone this morning! I'm considering putting flour around the bowl, this way I can see the paw prints to make sure I'm feeding cats, not raccoons:gig I'm going to try to get the cats used to coming onto my property before I TNR.

Thanks for all the info!! I set up a safe nook for the kitties with a bowl of food, it's gone this morning! I'm considering putting flour around the bowl, this way I can see the paw prints to make sure I'm feeding cats, not raccoons:gig I'm going to try to get the cats used to coming onto my property before I TNR.

Oh man, you just reminded me of my grandmother, she thought she was feeding the barn cats some leftover table scraps on a regular basis, one morning she looked out the window to discover she'd been feeding an opossum :gig

Oh man, you just reminded me of my grandmother, she thought she was feeding the barn cats some leftover table scraps on a regular basis, one morning she looked out the window to discover she'd been feeding an opossum :gig

I learned that lesson as a child! We fed our own cats on the porch.... opened the door one day and startled the possum eating their food. Wretched thing came right into the house after me, hissing and snarling! Last time I ever thought a possum was cute.

Its simple put something that smells strong. Like sardines. Put a few peices outside so they can eat it and realize they need more!!

Put the trap where they normall hang out. It might take hours /dayz of it being there. Dont put water in it. And make sure u dont feed them past 10pm if u got the appointment the next day.

They need to stat in a trap to do tnr so dont try to move them to another cat trap/ carring case they will escape in the process!

Once you trap the cat its important to cover the trap with a towel so the cat dont go crazy. Feral cats dont do well in cages. And will try to get out and meow all night. So once u trapped put a towel over the trap and place it somewhere quiet till u go to the apt!

Back
Top Bottom