Stumped on what attacked and killed my 2 year old large hen turkey

Farmerlaney

Chirping
Feb 1, 2024
So during the day something successfully plucked my hen turkey right in her nest there were feathers pulled out. I followed the feathers to the road where I found massive turkey feathers all over in the wet ditch along side the road. I'm assuming that's where the kill itself took place. The feathers led across the road through my neighbor's property weaning to almost no feathers being deposited. The last feather clump I found was down near another road and the property owner said I could not continue to follow the trail. I live in nys in a wet area we have bobcats we have fox racoons owls fisher cats weasels and mink. Now this happened yesterday but on Easter Sunday at 8 am I was drinking coffee at my kitchen bay window and a large red fox charged into my yard to attack my birds. I ran out and chased it through the woods as I did not have my gun readied for an attack so I just charged it and chased it off. What is capable of killing and carrying away a 2 year old nargesette hen turkey on a nest? Nope not the neighborhood dogs. We all have farms around here and our dogs are not bird killers or leave properties.

So during the day something successfully plucked my hen turkey right in her nest there were feathers pulled out. I followed the feathers to the road where I found massive turkey feathers all over in the wet ditch along side the road. I'm assuming that's where the kill itself took place. The feathers led across the road through my neighbor's property weaning to almost no feathers being deposited. The last feather clump I found was down near another road and the property owner said I could not continue to follow the trail. I live in nys in a wet area we have bobcats we have fox racoons owls fisher cats weasels and mink. Now this happened yesterday but on Easter Sunday at 8 am I was drinking coffee at my kitchen bay window and a large red fox charged into my yard to attack my birds. I ran out and chased it through the woods as I did not have my gun readied for an attack so I just charged it and chased it off. What is capable of killing and carrying away a 2 year old nargesette hen turkey on a nest? Nope not the neighborhood dogs. We all have farms around here and our dogs are not bird killers or leave properties.
Yes a fox is capable of killing and dragging off an adult turkey. A fox or a dog could have done it in the daytime. Bobcat, raccoon or owl would be nighttime culprits.

If a pack of dogs come through, they will kill anything but are likely to leave dead bodies behind. The best dogs will kill when running in a pack.

That is too bad about your turkey hen. We had bobcats who were bold enough come around in broad daylight. We lost some hens that way. No carcass; only feathers. Turkey toms were also killed; those were too heavy to carry off and we found those carcasses, head and neck attached, body cavity torn open.

Yes a fox is capable of killing and dragging off an adult turkey. A fox or a dog could have done it in the daytime. Bobcat, raccoon or owl would be nighttime culprits.

If a pack of dogs come through, they will kill anything but are likely to leave dead bodies behind. The best dogs will kill when running in a pack.
Well I can say it's definitely not a pack of dogs we just don't have dogs running like that around here.....unless coyotes. But daytime?

Well I can say it's definitely not a pack of dogs we just don't have dogs running like that around here.....unless coyotes. But daytime?
And no dead bodies. This thing killed and carried off a 2 year old hen turkey. She wasn't small.

Back
Top Bottom