Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
My daughter Alana (just turned 4 a few days ago) got to spend the night at her grandma's house on Thursday night. We know she's allergic to dogs, but usually have it under control with a combination of antihistamine and asthma inhalers.

She got back around 6:30 last night and was wheezing pretty bad. We did all the stuff we could but my wife decided to take her to emergency where she was given more drugs and put on oxygen. I stayed home with the 1.5 year old and my wife, the trooper, stayed at the hospital all night and all day. I relieved her for a few hours so she could come home and shower / rest, but Alana wanted mommy at the hospital with her.

So frustrating that she's allergic to dogs (when we love them so much) and that she's in so much dis-comfort.

The doctors say they want to probably keep her another night to monitor her blood oxygen levels.. blah!
sad.png

2007-06-25.jpg

I am so sorry... I know the feeling!!! I have asthma and ended up in the hospital once a year until I moved to VA... Now its only every few years (depending on weather) My daughter had asthma too when she was younger... spent 2 weeks in the hospital with her... she finally out grew it she is now 14... I do hope your daughter well soon!!!
Tes

By the way, did I say she was just the cuttiest little thing!!! Thoughts and Prayers are with her and your wife!!!

Last edited:
You know there are allergy shots now for almost everything. Plus you could probably still have a dog as long as it is a short haired dog that has very little dander as that is what people are allergic to. Short haired Jack Russells, various pointers or hounds may be the route you need to go.

I got lucky, I'm not allergic to dogs or cats (or chickens) but deadly allergic to yellow jackets, wasps, hornets and fire ants plus and assortment of drugs, foods, and common cleaning supplies. I have allergy enduced asthma to dust mites, mold, and strong smelling perfumes.

I hope Alana is feeling much better and back home where she belongs real soon

She's so cute!! Sorry Alana is in the hospital, it's not easy having to stay in there for more than a day or 2, especially on Oxygen. Hoping she gets out soon!! My mom is allergic to cats and dogs so we never had dogs when I was a kid(may explain why we've had so many since I moved away from home.) Have you ever looked into a breed of dog that is non allergenic? Some the new ones out these days( I can't think of the names of them right now, they are usually pretty silly names), but they are supposed to be great for people that have allergies.

Asthma sucks - as do allergies, my hubby has a very slight case of both - he's supposed to be allergic to cats - but we have two now - a week after gettign the chickens he started SNEEZING and SNEEZING 10-15 times in a row..... I hope it gets better when the move outside....

I hope your little one gets well soon, its got to be hard having her in hospital!!! My kids have never been in hospital - other than my son when he was born! (daughter born at home!)

I have a question maybe you all could help me with since we are on this subject... I am terribly allergic to "down" why is it that I have no problems with chickens, ducks, or even the turkeys, but I can not sleep with a "down" pillow or comforter?? If I do.. I end up in the hospital... whats up with that???

Again, I hope that the little one is home soon happy and healthy... Keep us updated please...
Tes

Back
Top Bottom