Stupid snake

Oh I know what you mean about phobias-especially snake phobias-had a 5 ft black one in the house a few years ago-never would have known he was there had he not knocked a hat off the coat rack he was stretched out on. I think I actually carried him in with the hammock the day before when it started to rain-there is not one single night that goes by that I do not check my whole bedroom before getting in bed--I may never get over it. I check my coop real good with the light on and a spotlight before I close it up. I haven't seen a snake all summer other than a little garter snake in the yard. I have personal space issues too when it comes to them--and they better stay out of it!!!! You stick to your guns and I DO mean literally!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I had a rat snake inside one of my quail cages. It couldn't get back out after it's meal of an adult Georgia Giant Bob White. Yes it was a big snake. It did get it's last meal. I lost 2 quail to 1 snake. I suppose the other one broke it's neck trying to get away from the snake. There was 1 still alive in the cage that I was the lucky one to have to reach in and catch the frantic razor clawed feathery crazy bird. It's the closest i've ever been to a snake and never plan to ever be that close again. Usually shovel length away is close enough. Machete length is too close but sometimes necessary.

I tried the minnow trap idea and didn't catch not 1 snake but i've read posts and seen the pictures where others have. Maybe we just didn't have any wandering around at the time.

Moth balls works prety good too. I put some in water bottles and poked holes in the plastic bottle so the odor can get out. I put them in every corner of the coop and under a wood pile and in a pile of bricks. I haven't had any problems in those areas. I haven't seen any trace of any snakes either. As long as the chickens can't get to the moth balls it's safe for them. The plastic water bottles also keeps it from getting wet so they work longer.

Quote:
We had a 6 foot chicken snake in one of our houses once many years ago. It had to have been there for at least 3 days before it was found trying to get out thru the airconditioner. It got itself stuck and was flailing around. Knocking things off of tables and making a big noise. We slept in the loft bedroom and there was a picture that hung just below the window at the top and we had to have a tall ladder to reach it. One day it was on the floor. The snake had to have been in our bedroom on the rail trying to reach the window when it knocked the picture off the wall.

I moved out of that house and left the hubby there. When snakes are coming in, I'm going out.

Quote:
We had a 6 foot chicken snake in one of our houses once many years ago. It had to have been there for at least 3 days before it was found trying to get out thru the airconditioner. It got itself stuck and was flailing around. Knocking things off of tables and making a big noise. We slept in the loft bedroom and there was a picture that hung just below the window at the top and we had to have a tall ladder to reach it. One day it was on the floor. The snake had to have been in our bedroom on the rail trying to reach the window when it knocked the picture off the wall.

I moved out of that house and left the hubby there. When snakes are coming in, I'm going out.

lol.png
lol.png
I didn't move out but gave serious thought to sleeping in the car...

Thanks everyone who posted meaningful advice. Dufus, you crack me up. We seem to think a lot alike. The last snake that was in my hen house didn't fare so well. He was chasing my week old chick around the 55 gallon barrel (cut in half) we had for Momma (the one who died last week) and chick. Poor little thing was running around and around as fast as it could and the snake was chasing it around and around and momma hen (Checkers) was flogging the mess out of the snake. I was yelling for my husband as I tried to rescue the poor little peep (Betty Lou), but everyone was moving too fast for me to get my hands on her. Checkers finally convinced the snake that it was not going to eat her peep and the snake took off. Fortunately by that time my husband arrived with the shovel and took care of the problem. I actually think snakes are beautiful creatures, but not when they are endangering my livestock!!! I have been carefully checking the coop every night and so far have not found any snakes. I know that doesn't mean they won't be back, but I am thankful not to see them so far. I'm hoping that the rooster deters them from coming in there. He was perched on his roost with all the other girls on the night of the "murder" I do wonder when my egg count is low though...Is it because it was a hot, humid 100 degrees today? or was it the snake? Again I say Stupid Snake!

Back
Top Bottom