SUCCESSFUL MOLT?

manny5412

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
I was just curious to know what experienced poultry owners know about aiding roosters to go through a successful molt! What feed stuffs do you guys use? and what are the nutrition requirements of a rooster during this time? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was just curious to know what experienced poultry owners know about aiding roosters to go through a successful molt! What feed stuffs do you guys use? and what are the nutrition requirements of a rooster during this time? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Plenty of protein, with an abundance of vitamin A, B1, B12, D3 and other good stuff, all found in animal protein. A commercial chicken feed or breeder ration with about 18% protein is a good place to start and cut back on the treats.

I am having trouble understanding the timing of your request. The molt should be over in the Northern Hemisphere and not quite yet begun South of the Equator. Some keepers however have been known to accidently trigger a forced molt by following fad diets that do not take a chickens' nutrient requirements into account. However this usually involves starvation and forced dehydration. I don't know how to actually trigger a forced molt myself but its not hard to find out. I just refuse to keep fowl in this fashion.

I understand in the tropics that the start of the molt can be more dependent on the age of the chicken and not the time of the year or the Sun's position.

Last edited:
I agree with chickengeorgeto. Normally 13-15% protein is sufficient for roosters but those percentages are hard to find.
During molt building feathers does take a protein boost since they're about 90% protein.
I like to provide some animal protein during molt since it's more complete in amino acids.

My roosters are not going through molt at the moment, just trying to find answers in order to be prepared for when they do begin to molt, thanks for the help tho! :)

Back
Top Bottom