Suddenly mean rooster ):

Every person i have talked to or reasearch i have done says that if they fear you it equals respect. Its honestly up to the handler mine big boy went to the freezer he attacked my two year old who feeds the birds and gives them treats he was just about as big as she is no way he saw her as a threat. I am sorry but some roosters are mean and thats it i cuddle mine like the op and that probably made him mean but it could have just been him. I know i did try to retrain him after his attack one but i wanted his blood for his attack on her. He never tried to attack me agian after i chased him around the yard and carried him but he had a short life since his additude towards my daughter. And sorry but any animal that attacks me or my husband or my children goes if it cant be trusted then it will not stay.
You're certainly free to treat your animals and children as you see fit - I'd just like to offer that there is an alternative than simply giving up on your rooster and throwing your hands up in the air.

Sorry, probably still an sensitive topic someone awhile back pretty much called me a murder for it after we deside it wasnt worth the risk with a toddler and baby on the way. I didnt mean to come off harsh but i also dont want to say he turn around some do but from what i read and heard most dont sadly.

Sorry, probably still an sensitive topic someone awhile back pretty much called me a murder for it after we deside it wasnt worth the risk with a toddler and baby on the way. I didnt mean to come off harsh but i also dont want to say he turn around some do but from what i read and heard most dont sadly.
I don't want you to mistake my polite response for approval of your actions. I just didn't see any point in arguing with you. I don't agree with your response at all - but your response sadly isn't an uncommon one. It's unfortunate, but it's how the world is. We don't, as a species, care enough about these animals to bother actually understanding the root causes of their behaviours. Instead we anthropomorphize them, we treat their responses as though they were human responses - and they aren't.

That is something I would like to see change - which is why I chose behavioural science and chicken behaviour specifically as my area of study. I want to better understand them so that I can help others better understand them.

Last edited:
What I've seen in breeding and in the roosters is the attitude is carried through the genetic makeup. I have plenty to choose from every year if I want to keep one, but for someone who only has one, that's different and I can see putting some effort in rehabilitation. But if not done correctly could be damaging.

I didnt mistake your post for approval i merely wanted to make it clear i wasnt trying to be rude. And its a rooster it act like a rooster i get that but i am not going to be flogged or have my child attacked because its being what it is. Just like there are dogs that bite over food there just as many that dont same as roosters. I love all animals and see them as animals and will treat them as such but i willing to put human safety first. Op this is a very controversial topic some say cull were other say they can be retrained what ever you decide is whats best for you and your family. I couldnt risk trying to retrain mine and having to repeat said training over and over through out his life with my young ones around. If i could have i probably would still have him but that wasnt the way it played out. I am not a fan of animals that are aggressive to humans for no reason its obvious even when some birds are treated nicely that they still turn whether which side you fall on they are animals and can be dangerous. So be careful with what ever you decide.

Last edited:
What I've seen in breeding and in the roosters is the attitude is carried through the genetic makeup.  I have plenty to choose from every year if I want to keep one, but for someone who only has one, that's different and I can see putting some effort in rehabilitation.  But if not done correctly could be damaging.  
Yeah, I have two.... But love them both. To me it's worth the effort.

Well I've had three roos. Two of the were just fine. Never tried to attack me. The one that did, I tried the ignoring thing for a few months. It actually made it worse in my case. I'm just telling how my experience went. Others may have better luck but I didn't. But neither did the smacking him around thing. Although it did help some. He didn't attack while I looked at him but if he was behind me, he would try. I latter gave him to someone else that knew how he was a dog wound up killing him.

If you understood rooster behavior and the hierarchy than you would know that a dominant rooster commands respect and chases submissive ones when he feel like, he doesn't turn his back or allow himself to be attacked, the problem comes from people handling their roosters as chicks, they become equal to the keeper, I don't abuse my birds, I keep multiple roosters and never have I've been attacked, they move out of my way and they respect me. Perhaps the OP can try to retrain her rooster, especially if it's just trying it's attacking skills out, but usually the conditioning done during the first few months of life will set the rooster up for who he will be and how he will act. Sometimes confining a young rooster will allow him to calm down and mature and not act in an aggressive manner, that's why I suggested penning him separately, though he will never be cuddly anymore.

I dont know about that janet i think it depends on the bird i have a hen who does the same as your rooster she wants to be held and petted, she even wants to come inside so yeah i think it depends on the bird. Most of my hens want to come inside but only one allows my two year old to hold her and play with her so i think its an personality thing.

Back
Top Bottom