Suddenly mean rooster ):

I agree . I only had trouble with that one. We brought them all up as chicks together at the same time and treated them the same way. After trying the just ignore him method, I then would try to walk through him and Chase him. It worked for a few minutes but then he'd try attacking me again. I tried this for a couple of months and it never got better. Can it be that it was just in his bloodline?

If you understood rooster behavior and the hierarchy than you would know that a dominant rooster commands respect and chases submissive ones when he feel like, he doesn't turn his back or allow himself to be attacked, the problem comes from people handling their roosters as chicks, they become equal to the keeper, I don't abuse my birds, I keep multiple roosters and never have I've been attacked, they move out of my way and they respect me. Perhaps the OP can try to retrain her rooster, especially if it's just trying it's attacking skills out, but usually the conditioning done during the first few months of life will set the rooster up for who he will be and how he will act. Sometimes confining a young rooster will allow him to calm down and mature and not act in an aggressive manner, that's why I suggested penning him separately, though he will never be cuddly anymore.

Roosters attack people for many reasons. Sometimes it is a flighty, skittish rooster attacking out of fear, sometimes it is one that is too dumb to figure out that humans are not chickens. Some are just downright mean. Some have some screws loose. Not unlike dogs. If they cross the line it will be a constant balancing act to keep them from turning on you. I find that it is a highly heritable trait, and in breeds that have been selected for centuries for close human contact and companionship as well as intelligence, relative to chickens anyway, displays of human aggression are much lower.

I think having a nice rooster has two components in its makeup. First genetics influences it and genetics is inherited.
And I believe you can help things along by how they are raised. My roosters are friendly and not afraid of people, but I don't make pets of them when they are young. They forage with the flock when young (being hen reared can help, too) and it's better if they don't start at the top. They need older chickens, hens and or roosters, around them and they start near the bottom and come up through the ranks so to speak.
Anything that shows human aggression that doesn't dissipate with some attitude adjustments doesn't get to stay.

I hen raise, and make pets out of them. Best of both worlds. What's the sense in having a rooster if you can't let your kids play with him?

We have 1 rooster and 4 cockerels right now, all in the same flock and have no problems with aggressive behavior towards us, but over the last couple of years we've spent lots of time with our chickens and learned a lot about rooster behavior and have changed how we respond to that behavior. My husband used to be aggressive with the roos that showed any sort of dominant behavior and that usually got some sort of negative response, like flogging to the back or spurring or something of that nature.

Finally I convinced him to just not get into it with the rooster or cockerel. I would say don't treat them like you're trying to take their job. Lol!

Now, if one of the boys has an attitude, the head roo usually takes care of it, but if one of them were to try and be aggressive with me I'd ignore it.

I love my roos as much as the hens and don't think that I would kill one just for being what it is. If I had one that was aggressive or harmful to the girls, he would go in the bachelor pad. I won't allow my girls to be torn up by the guy who's supposed to be protecting them.

Not sure I'd let a small child run loose with a rooster in the pen, though. Small children are full of energy and often run around and make noise. Admittedly, I've only had one young child around my chickens when a friend with a 6 year old daughter would visit. She loved the chickens and always wanted to gather eggs and pet the girls. I would keep an eye on the roos and not let the child be overly boisterous because why court trouble?

Last edited:
I hen raise, and make pets out of them. Best of both worlds. What's the sense in having a rooster if you can't let your kids play with him?
I not saying you a wrong by no means. But if my kids are around my roo, I'm with them. I wouldn't trust no roo around kids no matter if he's shown aggression or not. I keep my roo around to protect my hens . He's never been aggressive though.

I'll add to the danger point, but I'm actually going to negate it lol ;)

I have cattle. Horses, sheep, birds of all sorts..

Ok roosters can be very dangerous, sharp, pecky, blood bringers... A bull or ram can kill you.

My kids go in all pens and are trained around the animals from the day they can walk. That's not to say I'm not WITH them until they are old enough (or smart enough) to do it alone. And even then, I have been trompled numerous times as an adult from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. ;)

I've also "retrained" nasty roos, but there is a point if "untrainability". It's usually after the roo has been kicked or beaten. Not TRAINED. Training does not involve abuse, but dominance.

It's going to be a lifelong lesson for the kids to grow up with and learn from... You mention kids? (lol I get posts confused, don't know how old we are talking).. That's not old enough to know and be alone, but its old enough to start teaching the kids the whats whys and when's ;)

Keep the roo away from the kids for now, until you can spend some time with him and see if you can re-establish a pecking order with him, so he knows YOU are the top roo not him. Only then will he be able to even be remotely trusted around you, but the kids are going to need to be older first :)

Edit* autocorrect

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom