Solved Suggestion

It's a very simple thing to politely tell the latest poster that the OP (or whoever they are quoting) hasn't been on since (insert date) and that it's a good idea to start a new thread.
Often they didn't realize they were posing in an old thread.
IF the responder catches that the date is old. I sometimes see someone start a new thread after being told they found an old one. They usually leave and never pursue any help. I'd say it's 50/50 whether they try again ir not.

I was on another site and noticed that they have this announcement at the bottom of the page right above the text box that says this:

And I just thought that that was such a great idea and might stop some of the necroposting we are seeing here. And wondered if it would be possible to implement something like that here?

It wouldn’t have to be on every thread but maybe over a certain age. The ones I was looking at were like 10-11 years old. Maybe over 5 years or something? Idk the specifics but just thought I would suggest it.

Thoughts?
I've seen similar wording typed here by someone when someone wakes up an old post. Usually, it was when they were jumping onto an old thread with something like, "Hey, I have that issue too, how did it work out for you?"

The only place it would be of a benifit would be in the "New Member Introductions", 99% of the time the person is trying to get ahold of OP for whatever reason....and does not check to see the origination date, alot of the times the OP isn't on BYC any longer.
It pushes the new members posts further down the page(s), and some peeps don't look all the way to the end of the page for postings....even though they are 'highlighted', it limits the amount of responses to a new members introduction post, and also, has a tendency to catch "old timers" off guard, sometimes (yes, myself included) have responded to a ZOMBIE.

Back
Top Bottom