Suggestions for a large, easy-to-build, inexpensive coop?

twoacresofhappy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Georgia, USA
We currently have a coop that's just under 8' x 8', with 23 chickens in there (and seven babies in the brooder). It's definitely too small already. They have a 30x40 run, and are let out to free range after around noon each day.

I want to build a much larger coop that will comfortably house up to, say, 30 (maybe up to 40?) chickens. My 12yo daughter wants just the two of us to build it. I'm 5' tall and she's got an inch on me. Girl power! she says, but I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be easy. :) I don't know anything about building, though I did finish the pallet-based coop my husband built. He is a chemist, not a craftsman, and I'm pretty sure that with a little purple paint with maybe giant green splotches, it could qualify for some sort of Seussical approval. Our biggest problem, aside from the fact that the walls didn't quite meet in some places, was that I just could not figure out how to do a proper roof. I'm still not sure how we're going to manage that part on a new one.

I know there are a lot of coops and pictures on this site. What I'm looking for are suggestions for an approximate coop size for the number of chickens we have (or might have). I'm also wondering if anyone has suggestions that would be understandable to total novices on how to frame a coop, how to add space for windows, and how to do an *easy* roof. Preferably all as budget-conscious as possible. Is that too tall of an order? I hope not. Hoping that some of you experts on here have some advice.

Last edited:
Some may disagree with me, but if you let your chickens out to range most of the day, then you only need about 2 sq ft per bird of roosting space. You have about 64 sq ft now, so you can house 32 birds comfortably. But if you want more space, feel free to build a second coop. Unless you just want to clean only one, that is. Do you have a concrete pad, ir will this go on dirt? If you are on dirt, get yourself some 4X4X10 treated lumber, 6 pieces will do just fine. Dig holes and sink them 2' into the ground (for the front poles, 2' 6" for the back posts for a sloped roof) with spacing to allow you to build a coop that is 8X10 feet. Buy some treated 2X4X10 and 2X4X8 to frame it up, Add some 1/2" plywood to cover the sides.

Plan to use 3/4" plywood for the roof if you use shingles that are nailed down. You'll need some roof supports, and don't forget to leave a gap between the top of the walls and the roof for ventilation. A small door for the chickens to enter, a bigger door for you to shovel out the poop. I would add egg boxes at 3 or 4 birds per box (easier to build them now before you get up to 40 chickens. I built mined on the outside with a sloped, shingled, hinged roof so I can gather from the outside. 12" wide, 12" tall in back, 14" tall in front gives you a self-draining roof for the egg boxes.

I imagine if you're going for ease of build, I'd go with a pressure treated 2x4 box/base, and cattle panels as the hoop portion of the coop. They should be robust enough to support a snow load and should allow you to affix anything you need to.

I imagine if you're going for ease of build, I'd go with a pressure treated 2x4 box/base, and cattle panels as the hoop portion of the coop.  They should be robust enough to support a snow load and should allow you to affix anything you need to.

Yep that is what I am planning I'm going to cover one section with a tarp and add external nest boxes.

I don't think I'm understanding, exactly - I think I need to find an image to help. I'm wondering if that'd be predator-safe, though. I'm in GA, and although I have dogs, they are not always outside especially during weather extremes. Interesting, though - I definitely need to do some research! Lorie, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

I don't think I'm understanding, exactly - I think I need to find an image to help. I'm wondering if that'd be predator-safe, though. I'm in GA, and although I have dogs, they are not always outside especially during weather extremes. Interesting, though - I definitely need to do some research! Lorie, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

I am 60 years old and built my hoop coop by myself so you can do it. I used 4x4 for long side base and 2x4 for front/back short side base, 2 cattle panels, draped chain link wire over it to keep out predators with deer type netting over that to keep out snakes. I used scrap wood to build the back wall and front wall with a walk-in door.I used small hole scrap lattice for even more ventilation. I have since added 2 more cattle panels to the back to add another breeding pen. I put a tarp over it to keep out rain.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom