Suggestions for safe daily shampoo for tick removal for humans

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi I just found out I have Lyme, a new infection which is odd because it's still winter and I haven't seen any ticks on me. Is there a safer option than a daily shampoo with permethrins to remove any ticks that might have attached during the day? I live by myself and can't always see areas like my back.

Oh no I'm so sorry, my dog got a tick in late February/early March when it was still freezing, which was really weird.
I don't know of any shampoos or body wash that kills any ticks that are already attached, but in order to try to prevent them in the first place, use shampoo and body wash that smells like mint (ticks tend to dislike it.)

Oh no I'm so sorry, my dog got a tick in late February/early March when it was still freezing, which was really weird.
I don't know of any shampoos or body wash that kills any ticks that are already attached, but in order to try to prevent them in the first place, use shampoo and body wash that smells like mint (ticks tend to dislike it.)
I've used dog shampoo myself before but it's probably not safe on a daily basis. I'll try the mint. I suppose tea tree oil might work as well?

You don't want to shampoo them off! Use tweezers or a tick removal gadget to pull them off at skin level instead. And you can have individual ticks tested for the commonest diseases they may carry, so you can take meds to prevent actually getting sick.
Check with your state health department, and with your state veterinary path lab (where ticks are tested in Michigan) for help with this. And ticks also can carry Anaplasma, Erlichia, Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, and Babesia, at least. Have you been also tested for those diseases? Insist!!!
Mary

I do love garlic, and can't imaging how much (toxic levels?) I'd need to eat to actually repel the little beasts!
And I had a tick infected with Lyme disease on me last fall, and another one early this month, also carrying Lyme (both tested). Only Lyme, fortunately. So, a second round of antibiotics to prevent actually getting ill.
Both ticks in our back yard, BTW. We don't have to travel far to find them! And it's too bad we don't have a nice monthly product against ticks and fleas, as our pets have! Not to mention a Lyme vaccine...
Mary

Guineas will help to get rid of ticks in your yard. While we had them running free in our yard and garden, we didn't have any problems with ticks and neither did our dogs.

Ever since we no longer keep guineas we each have had to remove several ticks per year (sometimes infected with lyme so antibiotic treatment was necessary) and almost weekly a few from the dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom