Suggestions please for a separate coop/pen for a rooster

The Zoo

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Hayward, CA
I have a 7 month old roo who is too randy to be in my smallish coop/pen with the three ladies. I want to build a tractor or something similar for him that we can keep in the larger run we have. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

He currently is in a wire dog kennel that I can move to the garage at night (he also crows a lot) to protect him from predators (raccoons and opposums) and out to the patio during the day. I also let him out into the run at times so he can bathe and scratch around and hang out with the one girl who likes him.

we have 4 roos and 4 hens and had to seperate.. we just put an addition on the hen coop inside the run..it is smaller .. no nest boxes needed.

31142_addition_to_coop_003.jpg

Last edited:
I should mention that it needs to be aesthetically pleasing since our yard is small and there's isn't any place we can put it where it won't be seen. Also, I can't add on to the existing coop since it's limited in space/area and landscaping.

I have to keep my roo seperate from my hens too , but for a diff. reason...well he can be mean at times, but well the hens tried to kill him so i dont trust them anymore. Right now i keep my roo in a dog crate at night and during the day he free ranges, he loves it, but i have to figure something out for winter

My concern is when we're gone for a weekend or a week I don't want the woman who watches our house/animals to have to go into the kennel to change his food and water. He may not react well to her and I'm worried he will escape, hurt her, etc. I need a place where he can be safe, secure and a stranger can change his food and water.

Here are some pictures of a breeding/brooding pen set up that I saved from a thread a month or two ago.

40910_minicoop4.jpg

40910_minicoop1.jpg

I want to build some for broody hens and their chicks, but I think it would work for your roo too.

Back
Top Bottom