Sunburn, Pox, or something else?

Hi you two, was just thinking about you guys both today. When it rains it pours, aye? Sorry Casportpony!

I have a question for you both...managed to get into town today..having transmition problems with car and picked up some safeguard.

I have one or may two pullets that are gaping...I HAVE dug earthworms for them and threw them to the chickens...now I learn that earthworms are the primary vector for the gapes...sigh...got some safeguard for goats and treated with the mushy feed again. I think I got everyone to eat..even patient zero...she got sick first.

I have a ton of diahrrea going on now. Is that a result of the wormer? TSC didn't have any ML syringes or measuring things, so I am using a pampered chef, measuring spoon that has the ml's on it and can get within .01 of 3 ml with it. That is what I was told to use per gallon.

Should I also be doing something else? There are no signs of respiratory anything, and I did wait a bit, before treating them. They are over 3 months now. Oh and their poo smells horrible...the runny stuff that is...hope you both are still on or around tonight and see this....I hate to start another whole thread just to ask this stuff. I think, with the rain we are having this summer, the parasites are more prevalent?!

Oh, and they DID seem to perk up a bit after I gave them the mushy feed with meds in it...just more runny poo...I'm also not sure they are drinking the water...I watched and a few kinda sniffed it and kept going...I am keeping them in the coop, as I can clean that better than their run and the run is soaked anyways..gonna get some rock salt and treat the run too. Ran across an old article when France had the gapes and they did some testing and found salt, in large quatities, in the area they use, like a run for us today, will kill the earthworms, the gapeworms all the way down to their eggs. I posted a link to the article last night on a gapeworm thread on here. Very interesting article. Wood ash seems to work also, but the salt worked best...watered in, or tilled in....they even had a formula for how much salt to use. I Guess Gape eggs can live for a while in the soil, in the earthworms, under the frozen earth, if they get deep enough. Really informative article. I decided it was time to try treating after reading it.

Again Pony...so sorry your roo is under the weather! We are having rain like there is no tomorrow, again...only had maybe 3 weeks total, all summer, with no rain. Thanks Dawg and casportpony!

Mithious: Sorry about your car, I've experienced transmission problems in the past, not fun and it's costly. I read that link you provided also, alot of testing was done for sure, good info. It takes gapeworms about 7 days to infect the trachea in order to cause symptoms. When the trachea is blocked by the worms, birds raise their heads up gasping for air, grunting and shaking their heads to try and loosen the worms. They dont eat because they are trying to breathe. They eventually suffocate in a short amount of time.
The time frame you gave your birds the earthworms, did you first notice the gaping around the 6th or 7th day? Has it continued to get worse and are your birds not eating and are they shaking their heads, grunting?
If you're not seeing these things, there are two other possibilties:
1. They are simply adjusting their crops.
2. It's the onset of a respiratory disease.
I doubt it's #2. Sounds like #1 is the winner. I've given my birds leftover spagetti (plain, without sauces) and they almost immediately started 'gaping' after swallowing it...they were adjusting their crops.
As far as the runny /smelly poop goes, probably from eating the earthworms, not the wormer. Mix some buttermilk and scrambled into their feed to make a mash and give it to them to eat for several days. Hopefully it'll get back to normal poops. Keep in mind that smelly cecal poop is normally excreted about every 8-10 droppings (plus or minus.)

Mithious: Sorry about your car, I've experienced transmission problems in the past, not fun and it's costly. I read that link you provided also, alot of testing was done for sure, good info. It takes gapeworms about 7 days to infect the trachea in order to cause symptoms. When the trachea is blocked by the worms, birds raise their heads up gasping for air, grunting and shaking their heads to try and loosen the worms. They dont eat because they are trying to breathe. They eventually suffocate in a short amount of time.
The time frame you gave your birds the earthworms, did you first notice the gaping around the 6th or 7th day? Has it continued to get worse and are your birds not eating and are they shaking their heads, grunting?
If you're not seeing these things, there are two other possibilties:
1. They are simply adjusting their crops.
2. It's the onset of a respiratory disease.
I doubt it's #2. Sounds like #1 is the winner. I've given my birds leftover spagetti (plain, without sauces) and they almost immediately started 'gaping' after swallowing it...they were adjusting their crops.
As far as the runny /smelly poop goes, probably from eating the earthworms, not the wormer. Mix some buttermilk and scrambled into their feed to make a mash and give it to them to eat for several days. Hopefully it'll get back to normal poops. Keep in mind that smelly cecal poop is normally excreted about every 8-10 droppings (plus or minus.)

Sorry hairlesshorse, don't mean to hijack your thread, but trying to reach Dawg, having some emergency questions, please don't get mad!

Dawg, I do think it's the gapes, as they stopped after worming, although not sure when to retreat, if it's 10 days after first treatment, or after last treatment...I did originally think she was adjusting her crop, then thought something was stuck in her crop or throat, but then another one started, and I think another after that, but just caught her doing it out of the corner of my eye, so really am only certain of the two and since all gaping stopped on the second day of worming, which the info I got, form someone else, came from you, I am sure it's correct...2 days, 3ml per gallon, then retreat in 10. I'm not sure if this was tracked in, or is in the soil, but is now in the soil, according to that article, so am trying to get some wood ash, and if all else fails, will salt the run. In the mean time, I am keeping them in their coop on real rainy days and kept them in during treatment. Am having problems with my silent partner, so only have enough bedding left to deep clean once, so thinking, after the last treatment? Is that going to work? What about the run? I have let them out, as there is a withholding, so thinking this wormer stays in their systems? Is that right? I did PM you, but you must be busy? I hope you can respond to this, as I really need to know what to do to keep them from being reinfected. They are doing MUCH better after worming and saw no round worms or such coming out after worming, not sure if I would see the gapes too? I didn't. I did find a very wet poo with white stuff in it, this morning, after letting them out yesterday in a damp run...the rain is back and it's torrential...please, if you can respond, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so very much!!! Oh, is 2 days treatment right? Thanks again, Mithious

edited to add, you are right about the respiratory disease, I see no signs of it. The one that was first gaping, not sure how long, kinda losing track of time and forgot to write it in my notebook, did end up sounding a bit croaky, and was lethargic, but that all cleared up with the wormer...so I really think I have the rare gapeworm unfortunately. I was really hoping for just crop adjustment, which is why I waited and watched her. They all have their tails raised back up really high and much more energy, but picked one up yesterday to recheck for lice, mites, ect, and the ones I did catch, felt thin...which seems reasonable, if they had worms eating their food...any suggestions, help you can give, I would be forever grateful for!

Last edited:
Looks like he was not getting along with another roo. Two other roos were set to be "downsized" and after that happened, the marks started to go away. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom