Sunnyside Up

Those look interesting silkie- are they rawish or cooked like a curd?

I was pretty much forced to eat eggs sunny side up with runny whites even as a kid, so the gross out factor for me is TOO high. I mean why could'nt my wicked stepmother flip the darn egg for me?! I swear she just loved to see me GAG! :mad:

I love the yokes now though- still NO runny whites ech! :eek: bad snot memories.......

So I do it this way, which most people said, but with ONE exception. I turn the pan on medium, a little cooking spray, crack egg, put lid on until egg firms. Then I take the lid off, turn the heat off and flip it, leave it for just 30 seconds. The yoke doesn't break or get hard, it's just long enough to cook any runny white BUT keep the yoke nice and runny.
wink.png

Oh BTW up here, a fried egg means cooking one side then flipping it and cooking the other side until the yolk is cooked. No scrambling in a bowl first. I also think the different terms people use is interesting.
Shoot, I had a friend come up from Florida and I asked her if she wanted a pop and she was like WHAT? you mean a soda?
wink.png

Southern, if you get them perfect, like Shmoo just described (Chelly does her the same way I do too) or sometimes I do them like Shmoo if I dont want any grease and am being healthy (which I TRY to do anymore), they are really really good.

Its when you get the whites not quite done enough, and the yellows too runny, that a lot of people have a problem with them, including me. Dont feel bad if you havent cooked them that way before, there really is an art to getting them cooked the way you like.

I remember a coworker telling me he wouldnt let his wife cook a sunny side up egg for him because she NEVER got it right in the 22 years he had been married to her.
lau.gif

Oh yea, and silkie, those do look interesting, I have never seen any prepared that way. Looks good!
Jill

Last edited:
We just use a bit of canola oil and get the the pan hot(high but not smoking), crack the egg in and cut the heat down to medium low. If the eggs are really bubbling, remove them and/or cut the heat back a wee bit more. Have patience, the whites will cook completely. You can tell when they are a solid opaque white. I usually turn the eggs then and cook them just a minute more (but not turning them is officially sunny side up). *When the egg whites seem to be about half done is a good time to push the toaster down. You should have toast just when the eggs get done.
smile.png

I never had a runny yoke or moist scrambled eggs until I grew up and got married. My family was from Minnesota and maybe paranoid about eggs I guess. Even now, when I go out to breakfast with my dad and sister, they have to have their eggs "scrambled, dry". I bet seeing me mop up my runny yoke with toast must make them think I'm walkin' on the dark side!

I recently saw a recipe for "dessert eggs", which was really a slice of cinnamon swirl toast topped with a smoosh of vanilla ice cream and a canned apricot half. It looked just like eggs sunnyside up on toast.

A nifty way to do it is to get a biscuit cutter or a small jar lid will work also... cut the hole in the middle of the bread and put it in the frying pan then put the egg in the hole to fry.

Back
Top Bottom