Super big goofy shaped eggs...

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
Last couple of days I've noticed these really large eggs along with an increase of bullet, or torpedo shaped eggs.
The big eggs at first were just that, big! And I've had the occasional big egg before (usually double-yolkers), but never consistently three days in a row!
What is more, the last two days, the big eggs are a bit goofy shaped. Should I be concerned (for the hens, not the eggs)? The girls are about two years old, and I have seventeen breeds.
hu.gif

eggsjan131408.jpg

The three big eggs are 'X'ed in the picture above.
(The lonlely 'green'egg with calcium deposits is Cleo's, my EE, she has always laid thin shelled eggs with deposits like that).
Here's a better shot of the weirdo eggs:
eggs2.jpg

Last edited:
They do, but they don't seem to eat it much.
I was beginning to think about putting a bit of it into their feed.
What do you think?

As I understand it, sometimes if a hen is interupted in the laying, or farced to 'wait' or hold on to an egg, the muscle contraction can give the hardening shell an odd shape. So your hens have plenty of nest choices? Or do they all try to use the same nest?

I have 4 nest boxes, and several shelves, but my hens all try to lay in the same area each day. I wonder if one of your girls is doing a crosslegged dance while she waits for the 'privey' of her favorite nest?

Just speculating....

Back
Top Bottom