Egg laying timing question and eek egg eating!

Julieugar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2023
I have 3 pullets that are 26 weeks and as of this week, laying eggs.

1. My Easter Egger was first to lay eggs and she is a consistent morning layer. I see an egg by 9 am each day. Clearly not falling within the predicted 25 hour cycle

2. My B.O. was second to lay, and she is late morning, and seems to be on the 25 hour cycle. She started at 10 am and then moved to 11 am, and so on, and so on.

3. My Silver Laced Wyandotte, just started 5 day ago, and this gets interesting. She laid her first egg, lunchtime, the shell was nice and thick but torpedo shaped. Second day, similar timing again, firm shell, a little less torpedo shaped. She skipped laying on her 3rd day. Then on her 4th day, she laid a VERY thin shelled egg on the floor of the run at @7:30 pm, right before bedtime. It was very subtlety cracked, so I whisked it away before they could peck at it, and taste it (my biggest dread). Fast forward to this morning, upon letting the chickens out, this same chicken seems to drop an egg while roosting, it was below her and cracked. (I have no idea when this occurred) I once again tried to grab it before the others could get to it, but I was too late---erg. The B.O. who is at the top of the pecking order was eating it before I could do anything. Reading up on what to do, I put some dummy eggs filled with detergent within the hour, and I THINK swiftly got her off the taste of the eggs, but that remains to be seen!

So question:
If my B.O. keeps on the 25 hour cycle, will her egg laying progress into afternoon, and then to early evening...etc? We are in the longest days of the year, and head into their coop at 8:30, and rise at 5:45am. At what point do they re-set their cycle, and start laying in the morning?

Is it typical for new layers to lay in their sleep? Is this a thing?

And question on my Silver Laced Wyandotte who laid some funky eggs last night, any clue what's going on there? The thin shelled eggs surprised me, as my first two chicken had perfect shells. The S.L.W. seems to be regressing and her timing is not yet worked out, it is her first week.

I'd love any and all advice!

With new layers, anything goes. Eggs dropped off the roost, eggs with quality issues (thin shelled, size, weird shapes), etc. Some birds don't seem to have any issue getting their system in order, others can take weeks or even months to get "regular."

As far as the question of when does the egg cycle "reset" they just seem to do it on their own. Might be hormones, instinct, or a little of both. If it starts getting into the evening they know they need to get up on the roost before bed and they'll lay the next egg first thing in the morning. It's fairly rare with experienced layers to find them "caught" in the nest box from not being able to get an egg out before bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom