Super cute (and CHEAP!) DIY homemade hanging gravity feeder!

lamNervousNellie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
83702_2011-05-03_103621.jpg

The base is a chips & dip party plate that I bought at Target yesterday for $2.50. The green thing is an "ice bucket" (we were using it as a trash can!) bought at the dollar store..

I just (gently) drilled a hole through the center of both of them, fed a cord through, and tied a knot at the top and bottom for a secure fit. To make it a little more secure, I drilled some tiny little holes and fed a clear zip-tie through 2 of the "petals" of the dish, and put a little bead of hot glue on the others.

83702_2011-05-03_103655.jpg

Then I drilled out a hole on the top of the green part so feed could be added in at the top and voila! It beats buying one at the store for $10 and it's way cuter!!! Just thought I'd share!!

Oh, wow! That totally rocks!! I have one of those dishes that I never use, in pink!, and a yellow bucket I can use. Thanks for the great idea!

That...is awesome!

It is cute, and your directions are super easy to follow. my only concern would be that feed will get caught in the dip part of the bowl and never come out. Also, it might be a little tough to clean. I might consider cutting away a larger section of the bottom of the "ice bucket" to make it easier to get into it to clean. Thanks for the fantastic idea!

ETA another thought...I bet that would make an excellent feeder for a cross-beak chicken since it gives them more room at the "trough" than the store bought ones. The trays on the chip dish are probably a little deeper too. Now I really am gonna have to go find me a chips and dip dish like that and try this.

Last edited:
I see where another responder mentioned the feed getting trapped in the "dip portion" of the base. What if the design was modified to use a flat plate like one of the clear heavy plastic platters, and the maker cut notches or a three sided slot into the sides of the"ice bucket" portion for the feed to come out through? (cut up from the open edge an inch or two, then across however wide you wanted the slot to be) ? That would eliminate the trapped feed issue, and would still use the rest of the same basic components.... I may just try that myself.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom