Super Grand Champion - Black Orpington

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
So in one of my Facebook groups this Orpington won Super Grand Champion at a show a few hours from here over the weekend. It was a large, APA sanctioned show. I found the pictures of her very interesting as in my opinion she seems to resemble the UK SOP for “English-type” birds rather than the APA SOP for the “American-type” Orpingtons. I understand that birds that adhere to the UK standard can be show in the AOV class but can not advance from there. My friend asked her about the bird assuming she was English. The owner stated all Orpingtons are English (which yes, the originated in the UK) but stated she was bred to APA Standards and not UK Standards. I’m not arguing one way or another, but what do people experienced with Orpingtons think when they look at the bird? I’m also not a huge fan of her comb, but that being said I’d still breed her. Lol

@Faraday40 @homeschoolin momma

5AE5BF38-25FB-4344-8858-501545969E15.jpeg
7447EE1B-242A-40E6-96B5-CC57733DDDC2.jpeg
AE861CE4-3EDE-4E85-928C-FF0077924155.jpeg
2E836FED-C8C6-45AE-A760-B55D72423627.jpeg

Last edited:
These things I wonder about. I saw the same thing. I think that it was bred to the American standard, but seeing that amount of feathers hanging down from her belly makes me think she’s a bit exaggerated in the fluff department. Clearly the judges preferred fluffy in this case. I’ve noticed blacks seem to be a lot fluffier. I’m not sure if that’s because they’re trying to separate themselves from Australorps? The feathering is the biggest difference between the breeds, the other being the sweep of the back and very balanced look of Aussies.
As you can see, they are very similar.
550A3FB1-E8A6-4863-AE9B-960342306F50.png

These things I wonder about. I saw the same thing.

Were you at that show?

I think that it was bred to the American standard, but seeing that amount of feathers hanging down from her belly makes me think she’s a bit exaggerated in the fluff department. Clearly the judges preferred fluffy in this case.

Obviously I agree with you on the fluff. I think it's bordering on the extreme for the APA's SOP. It's always interesting how even with a SOP to go off of, judges personal preferences affect the placing of birds. I used to show finches with the NFSS (National Finch and Softbill Society). I brought a lovely Silver Gouldian hen along with some other mutations. The judge pointed her out and straight up said she didn't know why anyone would take a beautiful bird like a Gouldian and take all the colors out through breeding to produce a Silver. She placed her last out of all the birds despite her being well-bred, marked correctly, and a wonderful size.

I’ve noticed blacks seem to be a lot fluffier. I’m not sure if that’s because they’re trying to separate themselves from Australorps?

That's an interesting idea.

The feathering is the biggest difference between the breeds, the other being the sweep of the back and very balanced look of Aussies.
As you can see, they are very similar.

Well Australorps were developed from Orpingtons, so that makes sense. I think there's a lot of difference in the eye/face of the two breeds. Australorps are also tighter feathered.

What did you think about the comb on that bird?

Were you at that show?

Obviously I agree with you on the fluff. I think it's bordering on the extreme for the APA's SOP. It's always interesting how even with a SOP to go off of, judges personal preferences affect the placing of birds. I used to show finches with the NFSS (National Finch and Softbill Society). I brought a lovely Silver Gouldian hen along with some other mutations. The judge pointed her out and straight up said she didn't know why anyone would take a beautiful bird like a Gouldian and take all the colors out through breeding to produce a Silver. She placed her last out of all the birds despite her being well-bred, marked correctly, and a wonderful size.

That's an interesting idea.

Well Australorps were developed from Orpingtons, so that makes sense. I think there's a lot of difference in the eye/face of the two breeds. Australorps are also tighter feathered.

What did you think about the comb on that bird?
I saw the Facebook post, did not go to the show.
I agree with the judge on the Gouldian thing. She shouldn’t have placed her last for that, but I think diluting those beautiful colors is counterintuitive.
The comb isn’t the best, but worth very few points. Still, I think when choosing a champion you should have it narrowed down to better options.

Back
Top Bottom