Wild--Star

Songster
6 Years
Sep 22, 2015
Australia
My Isa Brown hen Ava is 3 years old.
She has a mass of what might be hard eggs in her reproductive tract.
She is doing okay so far and is acting normal despite the mass and has been for a while but the vet said it will eventually become life-threatening and if I want to prolong her life she needs to have surgery to remove the mass.
But she also said it's very risky and there's no guarantee she would make it through the surgery.
It's a $2000+ surgery and I wouldn't get a cent back if things went south.
I don't have that kind of money so I started a fundraiser but I'm wondering if I manage to make the money, is it even worth doing the surgery?
I love my little pet chicken with all my heart and want her with me for as long as possible.

I don't want to put her through surgery and risk losing her while she seems bright and happy but I also don't want to wait until she gets ill and decrease the chances of her surviving surgery.

What should I do?
How long can I have her before things get dangerous? Is this something they can live with for a long time?

My Isa Brown hen Ava is 3 years old.
She has a mass of what might be hard eggs in her reproductive tract.
She is doing okay so far and is acting normal despite the mass and has been for a while but the vet said it will eventually become life-threatening and if I want to prolong her life she needs to have surgery to remove the mass.
But she also said it's very risky and there's no guarantee she would make it through the surgery.
It's a $2000+ surgery and I wouldn't get a cent back if things went south.
I don't have that kind of money so I started a fundraiser but I'm wondering if I manage to make the money, is it even worth doing the surgery?
I love my little pet chicken with all my heart and want her with me for as long as possible.

I don't want to put her through surgery and risk losing her while she seems bright and happy but I also don't want to wait until she gets ill and decrease the chances of her surviving surgery.

What should I do?
How long can I have her before things get dangerous? Is this something they can live with for a long time?
My hens never live longer than 3 years. If they get seriously I put them down immediately to save then from suffering too much.
$2000 is a ridiculous amount to spend on a hen. I don't think you'd be able to raise the funds in time to save the hen. That amount of money would build you a whole new setup for the hens or alternatively buy you a new pet (dog for example).

Obviously it's up to you but I guarantee you'll have others telling you the same thing. Good luck

Anesthesia is very risky for chickens, and I assume that she would need it. If she is happy and not having any problems I’d just let her be and not do any kind of surgery. Just enjoy having her. The surgery would cause a massive amount of stress for the hen which can cause complications. If it starts affecting her then I’d consider culling. For know just enjoy her being with you, and cross the bridge if it comes.

ISA Brown's are more geared for egg production like all sex-links and tend to have more egg laying issues than other breeds.
That said, it's always the favorite hen that's the first to become ill or injured in some manner, it never fails.
It hurts. I've been there, and yes, I currently have a few favorite hens after all these years.
It would be in your best interest to cull her or have someone else do it for you and not let your hen suffer any longer.
Do NOT take her to the vet under any circumstances, even for euthanasia. The vet will charge you an arm and leg.

I know people who have spent thousands of dollars trying to save a sick or injured animal or trying to keep an old one alive. It's a personal choice, but I think much of the vet field has become a money-making racket. Plus, the trauma of some vet treatment can kill an animal, literally scaring it to death. It's unnatural. Personally, I think you should let Ava live out the rest of her days without that trauma, with you in her home. If she stops eating and appears to be in pain, wasting away, then it may be time to euthanize. All animals die just like all people die. There's really no point spending thousands of dollars trying to keep that from happening in this case, in my opinion. Enjoy the rest of your time together and remember her forever after she is gone.

Last edited:
The decision is totally up to you - some people would spend that amount on surgery for another type of pet, like a dog, so I understand if she is worth that much to you! However, if you are seriously considering it, I would get a second opinion and/or make sure that you are seeing someone with a lot of avian surgery experience. I do think her odds are quite slim, and depending on how used to handling she is, it could be very traumatic for her. And recovery will likely be very difficult, and painful for her. If it were me, I would spoil her and enjoy the remaining time with her, and have a vet come euthanize her if/when she started to suffer from the condition. Best of luck to you both!

Back
Top Bottom