Surviving Minnesota!

That would make me a bit nervous, but you do what you feel you need to do. I wouldn't worry about the fumes from a space heater.

Last year I caved and put a 250 watt heat lamp out in the coop during that week long cold snap. I was peeved because none of the birds went near it! Ungrateful feathered beasts.
Okay thank you! I decided not to do it, since their heat lamp seemed to be keeping them warm enough. I was very impressed with how the pigeons did in the cold weather! Haha, mine like their heat lamp! I wonder why they didn't use it?

I put bag balm on Cuddles the first cold snap, This one has been purely the heating pads. I did not like what the bag balm did to him. It kind of ran all down his front and sides. The feathers look ugly and dull now. He needs a bath but it will be 6 months until it gets warm enough for a bath.

I've noticed that with the feathers as well. Not to mention they get wood chips, hay, straw, dirt, you named it stuck to their face and comb.
Look what I made in tech!
This is for my dad

Is that sketched on? Looks good.

Okay thank you! I decided not to do it, since their heat lamp seemed to be keeping them warm enough. I was very impressed with how the pigeons did in the cold weather! Haha, mine like their heat lamp! I wonder why they didn't use it?

Your birds are clearly more grateful than mine.

I've noticed that with the feathers as well. Not to mention they get wood chips, hay, straw, dirt, you named it stuck to their face and comb.

Is that sketched on? Looks good.

Your birds are clearly more grateful than mine.
Maybe... ducks do seem like more thankful creatures than chickens.
big_smile.png
tongue.png

Nathan: I think short spurts of cold aren't too bad. Now that we have this warm up ...its sort of a reprieve from the cold. I do think when we get -20 or -30 day after day...it starts to tax the birds. And one may need to think about a little something to take the edge off. I put the heat on in the coop because I have it and I feel it's safe enough. Do I think my birds would have been okay with out anything for one day? You bet. They know how to take care of themselves.

Nathan: I think short spurts of cold aren't too bad. Now that we have this warm up ...its sort of a reprieve from the cold. I do think when we get -20 or -30 day after day...it starts to tax the birds. And one may need to think about a little something to take the edge off. I put the heat on in the coop because I have it and I feel it's safe enough. Do I think my birds would have been okay with out anything for one day? You bet. They know how to take care of themselves.
I'm so glad for this "balmy" weather! I like having it in there too, even if it isn't absolutely necessary. Our power was out for a couple hours yesterday and they didn't seem to care.

@duluthralphie I saw one of the hens I got from you drinking from the nipple waterer today!

A large wild turkey out under the bird feeders just now. Well the dog just scared it away..

Back
Top Bottom