Surviving Minnesota!

Siggie: Broodiness is contagious, dont cha know... LOL. Well especially with those breeds and as they are winding down in spring laying season those hormones move on to broody if they have the tendency. Pretty natural response actually. But if you're wanting eggs now instead...it's a pain.
I don't really mind it so much...it's just such a fun experience to watch them grow with a momma and live naturally like a chicken should :) but now I really need to get going on expanding the coop! I do have a friend, actually 2 friends that are interested in getting some chicks from me so it might work out ok. I actually have a home for at least one of my cockerels so one of them will escape the chopping block.

Maybe this time I will get some Wyandottes? Also I got 2 really small eggs today and I am thinking my broody mommas with the chicks have started laying again. I know one has for sure because she was sitting in a nest box this morning.

The chicks are all starting to go on their own way...sometimes they follow the mommas and sometimes they don't! I can stand for hours just watching them...it's very relaxing :thumbsup

Dr Courtney was tough as always but fair...

I passed. So I can sell birds for another year....
:wee

Also, my hummers are back! Just saw two of them circling my (empty) feeder - darn orioles keep emptying it out!

Here is the picture of the Yellow Bellied Woodpecker that I found.
yellow-bellied_sapsucker_1.jpg

Every time I tried to google it, I would come up with Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. I was going to look it up in my birdbook, but I apparently put it someplace VERY safe...

Last edited:
Made it home . Not sure if I am still subscribed to this thread . I skimmed the past week . Met Ivie Thursday in Brainard . She and Janet hit it like they were old friends . Got the trees planted . Turned logs into lumber . Put in some 12 hour days . Second week reminded me it was May in Mn . Lost some time to weather but did work some even on the bad weather days . Knee giving me a time . Ortho appointment on June 2 for a shot . A cold 60 something here . :D Looks like 80's this weekend in southern IL for my sunfish spawn fishing trip . Going to rest the knee for a few days . Grass can wait .

Back
Top Bottom